+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3687476;
    I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, which was so lovely and poignant. It reminded me a bit of Snow Falling on Cedars, I think because they're both set in the Pacific Northwest and deal with racism and the Japanese internment camps. I misspoke in my earlier post: the relationship in question is between a Japanese girl and a Chinese boy who are around 11 or 12 during 1942. The book is about their relationship, how it's affected by her "evacuation" to the internment camps and by his father's hatred of the Japanese. The other part of the book takes place in 1986 when the boy is now an older man looking back on his life. Anyway, it was really (I don't know why this word keeps coming to mind) lovely.

I just picked up The Journal of Helene Berr, which is the actual journal of a young French Jew during WWII. I don't know what's up with all the WWII books for me lately. I got them all at a booksellers convention so maybe that's just what's "in" right now in the publishing industry I'm sure I'll bawl my way through this one - it's very Diary of Anne Frank - especially knowing that she died in Bergen-Belsen. Sometimes I feel like I just HAVE to read these kinds of books....maybe to keep my own humanity in check and to remind myself to be grateful

i've read The Diary of Anne Frank
    i'ts nice.....is The Journal of Helen Berr somewhat like it???

FORT Regular

i'm starting The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    any comments about it???

im reading a book called "dead girls are easy" about a girl who see's ghosts, its good so far
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Has anyone read the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins? A girl Starbucks was reading it today and told me it was a great book.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3688275;
    Has anyone read the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins? A girl Starbucks was reading it today and told me it was a great book.
    Yes! Its an excellent book. I read it in about 4 hours one afternoon. Of course, I had the time because my baby was two weeks old. Just don't start reading it if you have plans. The sequel came out yesterday and I am waiting as patiently as possible for my Amazon order to come.

I'm attempting to read Pride & Prejudice since so many FORTers said it was '1 of the 5 books they'd take on a deserted island'. Started with the "new introduction by Margart Drabble" and put it down for 2 weeks. This is very different that what I normally read. However, I picked it up again, skipped the intro, and have managed to make it to pg 87 (small paperback versin). I'm really trying to stick with it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always believed that reading should be fun/enjoyable, and not work, unless you are in school or have to read for work. I refuse to struggle to pay attention!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3688714;
    I've always believed that reading should be fun/enjoyable, and not work, unless you are in school or have to read for work. I refuse to struggle to pay attention!
    Me too!
    I am reading The Deep Blue Sea for Beginners by Luanne Rice. This book starts where her previous book The Geometry of Sisters left off. In the first book there are three pairs of sisters, each with their own set of struggles. A mother and her sister, her 2 daughters, and young adult sisters who's mom left them when they were 6 and 4. As with all of her books they make you think about and appreciate what you have. Families torn apart from one mishap or another and then brought back together. I love her books.

elk

I loved this book. It is the first in a trilogy with #2 coming out this month. It features a really cool take on reality television in a deadly future society. If you read it, let me know what you think.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I enjoyed it very much, and I don't usually read YA fiction.

+ Reply to Thread