+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Yesterday I ended up reading a free book - The Widow in the Sari Shop. It was light romance, but a good look at Indian American culture. This morning I read the first few pages of Cloud Atlas, Atonement, and The Host. The Host is the one that hooked me right away, so I'm reading that first.
    I love my Kindle. Have I mentioned that lately?
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3680278;
    I liked The Mists of Avalon, but I LOVED Mary Stewart's Camelot books. There are (unless she's written another one) four of them: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment and The Wicked Day. Not so much "goddess this and goddess that" from what I remember. I think they're still in print.
    Those sound right up my alley. I'll have to check them out when I finish the Sookie series.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

im reading "gone" by lisa unger...I liked the neighbor and that was the first one I read of hers....but this one Im having a hard time getting through..to much lead up, not enough action.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3679253;
    It was very nice. My 16 yr old niece brought it over for me to watch with her and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The director was Nick Cassavetes, it starred Ryan Goseling and Rachel McAdams as the young couple. Check it out "The Notebook" movie year was 2004. You might even be able to watch it online. The book was even more enjoyable.

The book "Shanghai Moon" and author S. J. Rozan I was discussing with norealityhere might be a little mature for your interests (it concerns a mystery and the author moves back and forth between WWII Hong Kong, and present day NY to resolve it), but it is a good mystery and no explicit sex.
    Also, I was told the author is part Chinese - I am not sure that this is the case. But, one of her characters is American born Chinese, and the writing would lead me to believe that the author is very well acquainted with the Chinese culture (American and China).

ahmm....does it have a movie or something???i can watch

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3685086;
    ahmm....does it have a movie or something???i can watch
    There is no movie for Shanghai Moon - it is a book that was recently released, so it is a little to soon for a movie version. But if you were referring to "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks - there is a movie version of that book.

I am just starting a book by Georgette Heyer, "Lady of Quality". I am sure that I read it many years ago, but the library just received a new edition of it, and I saw it on the new books shelf and decided to reread it. Historical romance, what can I say - every once in a while I take a break from mysteries, and Heyer is an old time favorite of mine.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

There's a Jackie Chan movie, "Shanghai Noon". Is that what you're thinking of?
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3683629;
    i'm starting on the merchant of venice
    it's a bit boring...
    but nice.....any suggestion for nice books????
    with literature value.....
    How about The Good Earth by Pearl Buck? Read this on spring break a few years ago--we had a copy because my daughter read it for English class -- and I loved it.

PS I've just finished Columbine and now I'm reading the Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent, historic fiction about the Salem witch trials.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3685595;
    How about The Good Earth by Pearl Buck? Read this on spring break a few years ago--we had a copy because my daughter read it for English class -- and I loved it.

PS I've just finished Columbine and now I'm reading the Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent, historic fiction about the Salem witch trials.
    ahmmmmm.....
    is The Good Earth non-fiction????

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3686244;
    ahmmmmm.....
    is The Good Earth non-fiction????
    No. and it won the Pulitzer prize.

I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, which was so lovely and poignant. It reminded me a bit of Snow Falling on Cedars, I think because they're both set in the Pacific Northwest and deal with racism and the Japanese internment camps. I misspoke in my earlier post: the relationship in question is between a Japanese girl and a Chinese boy who are around 11 or 12 during 1942. The book is about their relationship, how it's affected by her "evacuation" to the internment camps and by his father's hatred of the Japanese. The other part of the book takes place in 1986 when the boy is now an older man looking back on his life. Anyway, it was really (I don't know why this word keeps coming to mind) lovely.

I just picked up The Journal of Helene Berr, which is the actual journal of a young French Jew during WWII. I don't know what's up with all the WWII books for me lately. I got them all at a booksellers convention so maybe that's just what's "in" right now in the publishing industry I'm sure I'll bawl my way through this one - it's very Diary of Anne Frank - especially knowing that she died in Bergen-Belsen. Sometimes I feel like I just HAVE to read these kinds of books....maybe to keep my own humanity in check and to remind myself to be grateful
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread