+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 698 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696146546 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm reading "Catcher in THe Rye' By J.D Salinger (I think that's how you spell it) I read this in Grade 11, but I really liked the story, because it wasn't your "typical book". My english literature teacher told me, this book was actually banned off in many schools, because of language and content. BUt I found this book interesting. It's a serious book, but still a good book to read.

Barely getting into Tracy Chevalier's _The Virgin Blue_. Borrowed my sister's copy. Am also reading the poetry of Hermann Hesse.
    Hi, Greenie You'll have to tell me how _The Lady and the Unicorn_ is. If it's as good as _Girl With a Pearl Earring_ or better I'm buying it!
    Ludicrous speed!

Just read Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Never read it before, and I've been meaning to read it forever now. Great book!

Now I'm reading In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner. Cute, funny book so far.

Currently reading Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear, at the suggestion of a friend. I'm only 2 1/2 chapters in, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. He does a pretty decent job developing a variety of characters in his books. I'd also read The Forge of God, which he wrote. That's kind of an end-of-the-world deal. This one's some sort of disease-y thing, which I guess could also wind up being relatively apocalpytic. We'll have to see.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. Kind of depressing, but I'm determined to get through it (plus there wasn't a copy of American Gods at my branch library ).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

There, there AverageJane!

I think I read I Know This Much is True a couple years ago. From what I remember, man, it's like the crap just keeps coming...but despite all the tragedy that occurs, the narrator (Thomas?) has a bracing sense of humor that keeps you from sticking your head in the oven. Depressing things happen, but it's ultimately quite hopeful. It's a good read, I especially like the way Lamb really plumbs the depths of the brother/twin relationship.

I'm sorry they don't have American Gods at your library. Is it checked out or they don't carry it? I'm really enjoying it, so I would say it's worth buying. Check out Half.com; I was able to get a copy for under $3.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I'm starting on Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson.
    Anticipating a good read.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I'm sorry they don't have American Gods at your library. Is it checked out or they don't carry it? I'm really enjoying it, so I would say it's worth buying. Check out Half.com; I was able to get a copy for under $3.
    As I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I really enjoyed it, too. I'd say it's worth buying, especially if you have NO chance of checking it out of the library.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

SFG You are so smart I never heard of half.com, but I did get a copy there for under $3 as well (of course, I have to pay Canadian shipping :rolleyes). Our little prairie city library is okay, but the only Gaiman books they have are Neverwhere and Coraline which I've already read.

(btw, I would probably be doing better with I Know This Much Is True if it wasn't for Dominick and Dessa's baby dying of SIDS - I cringe and start sniffling every time it's mentioned...call me an oversentimental mom )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I just started Great Expectations by Charles Dickens for Honors English 11. I've only read a few pages so far but it already reads pretty well for me.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread