+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I've been on a non-fic kick recently, and was inspired by Big Brother and did a little digging at my local library. I am reading You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again by Suzanne Hansen. She was a celebrity nanny. Im a few chapters into it and its pretty good. I also have Are You There Vodka on request, just curious to see if its any good or not.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I was cleaning all the stacks of paper from around my computer and found a list of recommendations from a friend from years back. I did a quick Kindle search to see what was available with good reviews and ended up getting Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, and Atonement by Ian McEwan. Anyone read either of these? Which should I start with?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3680943;
    Any suggestions about funny books with sassy characters..such as stephanie plumb, bubbles and the queen betsy series? I enjoy these types of books so much but only find them by accident..
    Someone in here recommended Marta Acosta, who now has three in her "Casa Dracula" series. I picked up the first one last night. It's not very vampirey, but quite funny, and I really liked the main character (a very sassy Latina).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3683103;
    Someone in here recommended Marta Acosta, who now has three in her "Casa Dracula" series. I picked up the first one last night. It's not very vampirey, but quite funny, and I really liked the main character (a very sassy Latina).
    I dont really like the vampirey books that go really deeply into the supernatural part of it..thats why I liked the queen betsy books so much, she is like a real person that happens to be a vampire...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3683046;
    I was cleaning all the stacks of paper from around my computer and found a list of recommendations from a friend from years back. I did a quick Kindle search to see what was available with good reviews and ended up getting Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, and Atonement by Ian McEwan. Anyone read either of these? Which should I start with?
    I loved Atonement but I recall opinions here differing. You might want to do a search.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Gut, I haven't read either of the books, but the movie made from Atonement was terrific, IMO. I am assuming the book will be good, as well.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Just finished Child 44. While the first half to two thirds of the book was excellent, the ending, for me, was not satisfying.
    Still, I would give it a high rating, as the author does a brilliant job of evoking Communist Russia from Stalin to the '50's, where the country has created a "perfect Utopian society" that does not believe crime could occur because, after all, it is "perfect".
    In addition, the book - its premise and style - are extremely creative and unique.

Note: There are a couple of scenes that are definitely not for the squeamish.

So, today I am off to the library as my hold copy of The Help has arrived. I think this will be a 360 degree departure from Child 44, so that's probably a good thing.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 08-29-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I finished The Hour I First Believed last night and am just blown away. I can't say enough good things about this book. A total tour de force.

Last night, I started Jane Green's Jemima J. and finished it this morning. It's always fun to revisit old friends and I love this book. It was the perfect thing to cleanse my palate, so-to-speak, after the heaviness of Wally Lamb.

I'm now a few pages into Jamie Ford's Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, which takes place in 1986 and WWII and has to do - and this is my take on it after about 3 chapters - the Japanese internment camps in Seattle and the relationship between a Chinese man and a Japanese woman. It's gotten great reviews, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

i'm starting on the merchant of venice
    it's a bit boring...
    but nice.....any suggestion for nice books????
    with literature value.....

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3683158;
    I dont really like the vampirey books that go really deeply into the supernatural part of it..thats why I liked the queen betsy books so much, she is like a real person that happens to be a vampire...
    Have you already enjoyed the Spellman files by Lisa Lutz? Or, how about the books by Hailey Lind - the Annie Kincaid art lovers series (which Critical turned me on to ) Both series are fun reads and light hearted.

There are also the Gemma Halliday, High Heel mysteries which are very similar to Stephanie Plum series, may be not as good as Evanovich, but enjoyable reads even so.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread