+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I also enjoyed Mists of Avalon, (better then the made for TV series, which I thought was good) but Loved Mary Stewart's Camelot books much more. The Crystal Cave was my favorite followed by Last Enchantment. All are available still through Amazon, and you can buy individually or as "Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy". It has been so long since I had the pleasure of reading these that you have inspired me to reread them.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

CCL

^ Thanks for the tip, Critical and Mike'sgirl!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3680200;
    Anyone got any suggestions on good memoirs?
    I liked The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. She had a very difficult childhood, but was able to write about it without bitterness. Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir by Janice Ehrlbaum was just OK, but her second memoir Have You Found Her? was really interesting. House Rules by Rachel Sontag was well written, but it was very depressing. A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown was pretty inspiring. Gang Leader For A Day by Sudhir Venkatesh showed an interesting perspective of life at a HUGE Chicago Housing Project.

For funnier memoirs, I would recommend anything by Augusten Burroughs, Sarah Vowell, or David Sedaris. Are You There, Vodka? It's Me Chelsea, was not as funny as I thought it would be.

I've never thought of myself as much of a non-fiction reader, but I've read a lot of memoirs. lol.

I just finished Bubbles Betrothed by Sarah Strohmeyer. It was a good, breezy summer book. I think the working class characters in her books are so much more interesting than her boringly perfect boyfriend, Steve Stiletto. I just started "Fatally Flaky" by Diane Mott Davidson and oh God, how her books make me want to eat!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've read The Glass Castle, and it was amazingly good! Whew! What some people go through growing up.

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm making notes.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Any suggestions about funny books with sassy characters..such as stephanie plumb, bubbles and the queen betsy series? I enjoy these types of books so much but only find them by accident..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3680943;
    Any suggestions about funny books with sassy characters..such as stephanie plumb, bubbles and the queen betsy series? I enjoy these types of books so much but only find them by accident..
    Katie MacAlister also has really sassy characters. Check out her website as she has several series going. Her Moravian aka Dark Ones are good as well as her Ashling Grey series. I remember the one book had the heroine accidentally raising up the mummies at the British Museum and they were her devoted slaves. Believe me it was funny. Sorta a Stephanie Plum with a bit of magic thrown in.

The other author I know that has a quirky sense of humor and way with her words is Rowena Cherry. She is British and her humor is very understated and you have to read the words carefully.

I am a big fan of Stephanie Plum and Queen Betsy and have read some of the Bubbles books. I hope some of the other posters have any other suggestions cause I too love quirky humor in books. That reminds me I just finished all three of G.A. Aiken's dragon series and those books had me rolling on the floor.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-27-2009 at 10:12 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Janet Evanovich's Motor Mouth & Metro girl are fun books also.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3681648;
    Janet Evanovich's Motor Mouth & Metro girl are fun books also.
    Those were good I just wish she had more of them out.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I tried to read motor mouth and metro girl and couldn't get into them..I did like the in between numbers books though..specifically plumb lovin
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3680943;
    Have you ever read Ann B. Ross? She writes the Miss Julia series.
    They are a light funny read about a recently widowed older lady from North Carolina, her bestfriend/maid Lillian and all messes the two of them get into. The first one in the series is Miss Julia speaks her mind.
    Amazon has a good description of her books.
    I enjoy reading these between the murder and suspense books that I usually read.

+ Reply to Thread