+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Skin Trade by Laurell K Hamilton the lastest in her Anita Blake series.

I started following this series in the middle and have heard that the best books are the first ones. There is a lot on sex in Hamiliton's books and if you don't like your books x-rated don't read these. There are vampires in Anita Blakes world and she is a necromancer and a licensed vampire executioner and a Federal Marshal. She has a boyfriend who is the Vampire Master of the City of St. Louis, Missouri. Because of her psychic ability Anita can tap into her boyfriends gift which is the ability to increase his psychic strength by having sex with different people. Anita grew up Catholic but was excommunicated because the Church does not recognize people with the gift of necromancy. She believes in God and is a Christian. All the men in these books are strippers with long hair and gorgeous bodes and all want to sleep with Anita. Anita being a good little catholic girl has agonizing quilt about having meaningless sex with anyone. She has incredibly long discussions about this with everyone in the books it goes on and on and on and on. This series is wildly popular but someone needs to put a tight rein on the author. Cut the drivel, cut the verbage by half, MOVE THE PLOT. I honestly think the author has her editors terrified to do their jobs and edit the crap out of the authors books.

The basis of this particular book is that there is vampire serial killer lose in Las Vegas and has killed a SWAT team and various female strippers. Anita and 3 other marshals are called in to help take care of the problem. Of course the first thing that happens is that the LA police question and block the marshal's at every point. The big problem is that Anita is 5'2" and pretty and of course has a rep for sleeping with lots of men. So of course every police officer is in her face asking who she is f**king and is she qualified to do her job, regardless of the fact that she has the highest vampire kill rate in the country. The police also have their own psychics and of everyone is challenging her and questioning her and then of course the head honchos don't believe a single word she is saying and of course she is in leaque with the vampires because she is sleeping with them all. Seriously, when does this woman ever sleep. If I was questioned that much about my job and abilities I would tell them to just handle themselves and leave. The endless talking, and talking, and talking bogs down the plot and what is amazing is that there is a plot in this book and that the main baddy known as "mother of night" is actually dealt with, like in a minute. That was shock. 80% of the verbage needs to be cut in this authors books and they would actually be a bit of a delightful romp instead of the irritating bore that they have become. Personnally if I could rate this book with negative stars I would give it a negative 3.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-26-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3679253;
    It was very nice. My 16 yr old niece brought it over for me to watch with her and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The director was Nick Cassavetes, it starred Ryan Goseling and Rachel McAdams as the young couple. Check it out "The Notebook" movie year was 2004. You might even be able to watch it online. The book was even more enjoyable.

The book "Shanghai Moon" and author S. J. Rozan I was discussing with norealityhere might be a little mature for your interests (it concerns a mystery and the author moves back and forth between WWII Hong Kong, and present day NY to resolve it), but it is a good mystery and no explicit sex.
    Also, I was told the author is part Chinese - I am not sure that this is the case. But, one of her characters is American born Chinese, and the writing would lead me to believe that the author is very well acquainted with the Chinese culture (American and China).
    Hi, Mike's Girl,
    I just looked up SJ Rozan as I was getting ready to order some of her books thanks to you! The only one I had read was Concourse.
    It's a testimony to her good writing that she is neither part Chinese nor a man; just good at writing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3679383;
    Hi, Mike's Girl,
    I just looked up SJ Rozan as I was getting ready to order some of her books thanks to you! The only one I had read was Concourse.
    It's a testimony to her good writing that she is neither part Chinese nor a man; just good at writing.
    Exactly! I hope that you enjoy them!

I am reading a Thomas King book written as "Hartley GoodWeather". I enjoy Native American writing, and had previously read his first "DreadfulWater's" mystery entitled "DreadfulWater Shows Up". I had to search high and low to find this sequel, "The Red Power Murders"...... but managed to find a good deal through Alibris. King is a Canadian author, and though many of his books are available in the US; this 2nd in the series was not readily available. Thumps DreadfulWater is an ex-cop turned photographer in the Pacific Northwest community of Chinook, and is called in to photograph crime scenes....... and eventually solves the mystery.

I've just started Red Power Murders, and am already caught up in the murder; but I wanted this second book mostly because I so much enjoy the personality of Thumps..... that I missed him. His American Indian mannerism, his humor, are very attractive to me.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3678872;
    G.A. Aiken - What a Dragon Should Know, the third in her dragon series. Totally love these books. The author has a wonderful warped sense of humor and she makes her characters mean and grumpy and spiteful and it all works out. What's not to love about a hero who can turn into a dragon and eat you.
    I think I've read other stuff by this author. I have read stuff by a Ginny Aiken, and she has a very funny sense of humor. I would imagine it's the same person. I'll have to check this series out. My daughter loves dragon books.

I'm just over halfway through (around 370 pages) The Hour I First Believed and am spellbound. It's not an easy subject - Wally Lamb's books are always pretty tough that way - but it is so well written.

Basically, the narrator - Caelum - is a teacher, his wife is a school nurse and they're both working at Columbine High School in April, 1999. Because of a family emergency, he is out of town when the shootings happen, but she is there, hiding in a cabinet in the library as the killings take place. She survives, but is so emotionally damaged, that they end up leaving Colorado and going back Connecticut, where Caelum is from. The book follows their lives as they try to move on. I'm only halfway through, but it seems like he will start to learn some things about his family that he didn't know and he'll have to face some demons. It's not as dark as it sounds. Wally Lamb makes his characters so accessible that you feel like you just know them. In spite of the fact that it's not easy to read sometimes, you just want to go on that journey with him.

I'll definitely have to read something light after this....maybe I'll revisit Jane Green and re-read Jemima J, which has always been my favorite by her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3679727;
    I think I've read other stuff by this author. I have read stuff by a Ginny Aiken, and she has a very funny sense of humor. I would imagine it's the same person. I'll have to check this series out. My daughter loves dragon books.
    There is a Ginny Aiken and a G.A. Aiken, two different authors.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Halfway through Mists of Avalan. It's okay - enough with the Goddess talk already. It's rather repetitious and if she cut it in half the book wouldn't be 900 pages. And I don't understand how Guinivere/Gwenhyfyr(or however she spells it) could be the cause of any trouble between Lancelot and Arthur as she is such a silly, immature twit.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Anyone got any suggestions on good memoirs?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3679930;
    There is a Ginny Aiken and a G.A. Aiken, two different authors.
    Ok, thanks. I will still check out the dragon books as I think my daughter will love them.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3680172;
    Halfway through Mists of Avalan. It's okay - enough with the Goddess talk already. It's rather repetitious and if she cut it in half the book wouldn't be 900 pages. And I don't understand how Guinivere/Gwenhyfyr(or however she spells it) could be the cause of any trouble between Lancelot and Arthur as she is such a silly, immature twit.
    I liked The Mists of Avalon, but I LOVED Mary Stewart's Camelot books. There are (unless she's written another one) four of them: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment and The Wicked Day. Not so much "goddess this and goddess that" from what I remember. I think they're still in print.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread