+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3677226;
    I LOVED In The Woods... now you have to run out and find the sequel, The Likeness. I read them back-to-back and loved them both. I got them both at the library on a recommendation from a friend. I like the ending of In the Woods better in retrospect than I did when I first finished it. When I finished The Likeness, I didn't want to start another book for a while because I didn't want to break the spell.
    So there is another book! Thanks. I'm going to try and find it.

I finished The Book of Unholy Mischief last night and really enjoyed it. Not rocket science, but nice historical fiction. Definitely

I picked up Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed last night and, within about 5 pages, was wondering why I let it sit on my shelf for 10 months! I forgot how much I love his writing style. I wasn't the biggest fan of She's Come Undone, but I LOVED I Know This Much is True and finished it in record time (and long before Oprah picked it for her stupid book club). I know that I'm going to have a hard time focusing on anything else until I finish this book!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3677443;
    This is my first Barker book and so far I really like it. It is different from anything I've read before, definately more creepy than I usually go for.

Something you might like Lildago is Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson. It was recommended to me somewhere (I can't remember where). It is like the a Stephanie Plum vampire style.

Here is the link for the description.
    Undead and Unwed (Betsy Taylor Series #1), Betsy Taylor Series, MaryJanice Davidson, Book - Barnes & Noble
    I'm on the second book in the queen betsy series, enjoying them very much
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Just finished CT Adams and Cathy Clamp's latest in their Sazi series Cold Moon Rising. Tony a character from their first book who is a hit man for the mob returns. It is always interesting to read a book from the point of view of a "bad man" who was bitten by a werewolf and has to deal with being furry 3 days a month.

Patricia Briggs - the second in her Alpha and Omega series "Hunting Ground"- I really like an author who thinks through her world and makes the supernatural a plausible and workable world. Also check out her Mercy Thompson series about a Native American skin walker who can shape change into a coyote. Like how the even in the supernatural world the European supernaturals wiped out the Native American supernaturals when they immigrated to the new world.

G.A. Aiken - What a Dragon Should Know, the third in her dragon series. Totally love these books. The author has a wonderful warped sense of humor and she makes her characters mean and grumpy and spiteful and it all works out. What's not to love about a hero who can turn into a dragon and eat you.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3674316;
    THanks.
    Glad to know I was right in assuming she was a she, despite the protagonist.
    I will probably go ahead and reserve some of her other books at library.

This site is so wonderful for finding out about books, so I thank everyone who participates in it.
    hey..
    thankzz so much....

FORT Regular

i bought the notebook.....
    it's nice..
    i've heard it has a movie......... is that right???

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3679071;
    i bought the notebook.....
    it's nice..
    i've heard it has a movie......... is that right???
    Yeap, they show it endlessly on Encore.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3679113;
    Yeap, they show it endlessly on Encore.
    ahmmmmmmmmmm..........
    who's the director???
    was it nice???

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3679115;
    ahmmmmmmmmmm..........
    who's the director???
    was it nice???
    I have just seen bits and pieces of it and really don't know the entire story. Maybe if they show it on a rainy Sunday afternoon I will just still and watch it. I think they were also showing it on Lifetime or the Lifetime movie channel. There is a bit of a difference in those 2 networks.

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3679115;
    ahmmmmmmmmmm..........
    who's the director???
    was it nice???
    It was very nice. My 16 yr old niece brought it over for me to watch with her and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The director was Nick Cassavetes, it starred Ryan Goseling and Rachel McAdams as the young couple. Check it out "The Notebook" movie year was 2004. You might even be able to watch it online. The book was even more enjoyable.

The book "Shanghai Moon" and author S. J. Rozan I was discussing with norealityhere might be a little mature for your interests (it concerns a mystery and the author moves back and forth between WWII Hong Kong, and present day NY to resolve it), but it is a good mystery and no explicit sex.
    Also, I was told the author is part Chinese - I am not sure that this is the case. But, one of her characters is American born Chinese, and the writing would lead me to believe that the author is very well acquainted with the Chinese culture (American and China).
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread