+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3674299;
    Has anyone you to the FORT?
    If not, here it is donnah fe !!!!

Glad to see that you enjoy reading and yes, the books you have mentioned are all good reads!

norealityhere Rozan is a "she" and oriental (not surprising since Lydia Chin is Chinese). I have not read Concourse yet, but look forward to it. That book is from Bill's perspective, I think. I really feel as if I am in his head when I am reading, and the same for Lydia. One reviewer thought Rozan was a male from first reading one of the Bill stories, and was pleasantly surprised by it. (He usually avoided books written by female authors.) Shanghai Moon is the current one and my favorite. They can be read independently, (she is very good about filling the reader in) but to follow the relationship sequentially is so much better. So I am going back to the beginning now and searching for China Trade her first in the series. Concourse was the second out of nine.

ahhmmmm....
    what is FORT??by the way???
    hehehe..
    sorry i didnt know about that...
    and thankzz for the welcome.....

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3672601;

I just started The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark. It's historical fiction set in 15th century Venice. The narrator is a young street urchin who becomes an apprentice to the chef in the doge's palace. I love Venice and I love historical fiction, so this is a no-brainer for me. Only 45 pages in and I love it! I must say that, of the 50 or so books I picked up at last year's bookseller's convention, only a few have gone back on the shelf before I finished them.
    Did you read "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant? It's about a courtesan who escapes the sacking of Rome in 1500's-something and goes to Venice with her dwarf to revive her career there. It was really good.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3676237;
    Did you read "In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant? It's about a courtesan who escapes the sacking of Rome in 1500's-something and goes to Venice with her dwarf to revive her career there. It was really good.
    I love that book! I actually love Dunant's The Birth of Venus even more - it's set in Florence during the "reign" of Savonarola. Really great stuff. I'm a big fan of Dunant's writing - she definitely transports you!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just started book 2 of Charlaine Harris' Aurora Teagarden series. Good mysteries and I love her tongue-in-cheek writing style...but it's no Sookie Stackhouse.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Premium Member

^lildago, try reading Charlaine's Harper Connelly series I found them much better than the Aurora Teagarden series. JMO.

Just finished In The Woods by Tana French. It a crime story set in Ireland, and a whole lot more. I found it very readable except the ending was a bit abrupt--I'm hoping for a sequel of some kind. It had to me anyway, a touch of supernatural to it. Rob Ryan, a dective is called back to his old boyhood neighbourhood over the death of a 12 year old. He hasnt been back since he was 12 and two of his friends disappeared into the woods never to be seen again. Now he wonders if the new murder is connected somehow.
    One odd thing I discovered while reading this is that in Ireland mothers are refered to as "mammy". I kept thinking Al Jolsen, everytime it came up!
    Reading Matters: 'In the Woods' by Tana French

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3676586;
    ^lildago, try reading Charlaine's Harper Connelly series I found them much better than the Aurora Teagarden series. JMO.
    I just finished An Ice Cold Grave, the third book in the Harper Connelly series and it was so good! The storyline was much more intense and it was interesting to see where Harper and Tolliver's relationship went.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3676740;
    Just finished In The Woods by Tana French. It a crime story set in Ireland, and a whole lot more. I found it very readable except the ending was a bit abrupt--I'm hoping for a sequel of some kind. It had to me anyway, a touch of supernatural to it. Rob Ryan, a dective is called back to his old boyhood neighbourhood over the death of a 12 year old. He hasnt been back since he was 12 and two of his friends disappeared into the woods never to be seen again. Now he wonders if the new murder is connected somehow.
    I LOVED In The Woods... now you have to run out and find the sequel, The Likeness. I read them back-to-back and loved them both. I got them both at the library on a recommendation from a friend. I like the ending of In the Woods better in retrospect than I did when I first finished it. When I finished The Likeness, I didn't want to start another book for a while because I didn't want to break the spell.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3676586;
    I'll do that as soon as I finish this series. I've got all of the Aurora Teagarden books here and they're such quick reads that I should be done by the weekend.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3672559;
    I buy any new Barker book as soon as it arrives on the shelves. This one is okay, certainly not as creepy as his early work but if you have a low tolerance for gore you probably won't enjoy it. His newer series, the Arabat books, are excellent and I highly recommend them. More of a fantasy series and much less gory - in fact, I've seen them in the YA section of Chapters/Indigo.

Gut, I just bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo today. I'll likely start it tomorrow, so let me know how you like it.
    This is my first Barker book and so far I really like it. It is different from anything I've read before, definately more creepy than I usually go for.

Something you might like Lildago is Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson. It was recommended to me somewhere (I can't remember where). It is like the a Stephanie Plum vampire style.

Here is the link for the description.
    Undead and Unwed (Betsy Taylor Series #1), Betsy Taylor Series, MaryJanice Davidson, Book - Barnes & Noble
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread