+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Wuthering Heights is one of my faves. There's a good reason it's a classic. Can't imagine not being impressed by it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I became a fan of S. J. Rozan after reading her most recent book "Shanghai Moon" which was on the NPR summer reads list. I love her style, which is to alternate books which feature her two main characters: a Chinese American female detective (Lydia Chin), with a Southern American male (Bill Smith) both of whom live in New York and are partners working out every case. Each book is told from the perspective of either Lydia or Bill, and both are very lovable. The Bill Smith books have a feel of a male author, and the Lydia Chin books are more humorous. I just finished "Winter and Night" and am currently reading "Reflecting the Sky". I am sorry to say that I started with the current and am reading my way backwards - not by choice; but because that was the order they came into the library and I couldn't wait to read them. Her plots are captivating and surprising, not the type where you have it all figured out by the end of the first chapter. You solve it along with the characters and the resolution is always satisfying and adeptly resolved. She is my newest "favorite author".
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Mike's Girl,
    I had no idea S J Rozan was so prolific. I picked up one of her books about 7 years ago. I liked it, esp. because she writes about the area I grew up in.
    Good to know there are additional books. And I am hoping I made a correct assumption that the author is a she. The book I read was Concourse.
    Thanks for the heads up.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3673502;
    Wuthering Heights is one of my faves. There's a good reason it's a classic. Can't imagine not being impressed by it.
    really???
    i'm still planing to read it...
    is it really that nice????

FORT Regular

ahmmm........

i'm still reading Breaking dawn
    i like it so much........

ahmm.....

suggestion to every one....
    try to read The Desire of Ages!!!
    it's so nice...

warning...!!!
    it's a religios book .......
    Last edited by Critical; 08-22-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3674154;
    ahmmm........

i'm still reading Breaking dawn
    i like it so much........

ahmm.....

suggestion to every one....
    try to read The Desire of Ages!!!
    it's so nice...

warning...!!!
    it's a religios book .......
    Has anyone you to the FORT?
    If not, here it is donnah fe !!!!

Glad to see that you enjoy reading and yes, the books you have mentioned are all good reads!

norealityhere Rozan is a "she" and oriental (not surprising since Lydia Chin is Chinese). I have not read Concourse yet, but look forward to it. That book is from Bill's perspective, I think. I really feel as if I am in his head when I am reading, and the same for Lydia. One reviewer thought Rozan was a male from first reading one of the Bill stories, and was pleasantly surprised by it. (He usually avoided books written by female authors.) Shanghai Moon is the current one and my favorite. They can be read independently, (she is very good about filling the reader in) but to follow the relationship sequentially is so much better. So I am going back to the beginning now and searching for China Trade her first in the series. Concourse was the second out of nine.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3674299;

Glad to see that you enjoy reading and yes, the books you have mentioned are all good reads!

norealityhere Rozan is a "she" and oriental (not surprising since Lydia Chin is Chinese). I have not read Concourse yet, but look forward to it. That book is from Bill's perspective, I think. I really feel as if I am in his head when I am reading, and the same for Lydia. One reviewer thought Rozan was a male from first reading one of the Bill stories, and was pleasantly surprised by it. (He usually avoided books written by female authors.) Shanghai Moon is the current one and my favorite. They can be read independently, (she is very good about filling the reader in) but to follow the relationship sequentially is so much better. So I am going back to the beginning now and searching for China Trade her first in the series. Concourse was the second out of nine.

THanks.
    Glad to know I was right in assuming she was a she, despite the protagonist.
    I will probably go ahead and reserve some of her other books at library.

This site is so wonderful for finding out about books, so I thank everyone who participates in it.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

After finishing The Time Traveler's Wife, I've started the first book of the Sookie Stackhouse series. My insane crush on Eric the Northman (from True Blood) has prompted me to read them since I know books are always so much better...and I'm dying to read the thoughts on that thread in this forum, but don't want to read any spoilers.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3675929;
    After finishing The Time Traveler's Wife, I've started the first book of the Sookie Stackhouse series. My insane crush on Eric the Northman (from True Blood) has prompted me to read them since I know books are always so much better...and I'm dying to read the thoughts on that thread in this forum, but don't want to read any spoilers.
    Just wait - book 4 is when the story really turns to Eric! That and book 9 are my favorites and I'm definitely on Team Eric!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3674299;

really???
    i didnt know that..
    hahaha...
    looks like i've got to read it first before giving some comments about it...

+ Reply to Thread