+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3669222;
    I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my Kindle. I was listening to it on CDs in the car, but my daughter went on a trip so I'm not driving her to work and back every day, so decided to finish it this way.
    Please let me know how you like this. . . I've seen it everywhere.

Im reading Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson right now, its kind of like a vampire type book written in janet evanovich type wit I guess..not quite as good..but its funny
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3671248;
    Im reading Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson right now, its kind of like a vampire type book written in janet evanovich type wit I guess..not quite as good..but its funny
    I love the Queen Betsy series, they are all quite good. I just finished number 8Undead and Unwelcome. Hope you enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3668991;
    Has anyone read Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker? I am going to pick it up tonight because someone reccomended it to me. It sounds really creepy and disturbing, hopefully it won't be too scary though! I'm not usually into thrillers but this one just sounded so unique that I couldn't resist.
    I buy any new Barker book as soon as it arrives on the shelves. This one is okay, certainly not as creepy as his early work but if you have a low tolerance for gore you probably won't enjoy it. His newer series, the Arabat books, are excellent and I highly recommend them. More of a fantasy series and much less gory - in fact, I've seen them in the YA section of Chapters/Indigo.

Gut, I just bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo today. I'll likely start it tomorrow, so let me know how you like it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular

ahmmm....
    wuthering heights
    i'm not impress a bit...
    any one who knows the story??
    could you please explain it to me???
    i'm confused about it....
    Last edited by Critical; 08-21-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: colored text

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3672571;
    ahmmm....
    wuthering heights
    i'm not impress a bit...
    Wuthering Heights is one of the great works of English literature. Read it! Someone came here a few years ago asking for someone to summarize a book (assigned reading) for him. As I remember, he didn't get what he came for. If you have questions, ask your teacher. I'm sure he or she would be more than happy to help you!

I finished Pandora in the Congo this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It was very reminiscent of the pulp fiction adventure stories of the early 20th century. Really fun and quirky, with some nice plot twists.

I just started The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark. It's historical fiction set in 15th century Venice. The narrator is a young street urchin who becomes an apprentice to the chef in the doge's palace. I love Venice and I love historical fiction, so this is a no-brainer for me. Only 45 pages in and I love it! I must say that, of the 50 or so books I picked up at last year's bookseller's convention, only a few have gone back on the shelf before I finished them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm glad I started Dragon Tattoo on CD because it took me a while to get into it and all the names are Swedish. Once I got into it though, I couldn't put it down and immediately got the second book when I finished (Kindle = immediate gratification ). I read that the author originally intended a series of 10 or so and had outlines and starts on most of them, but met an untimely death and only the first 3 were done. The third book has been published in other languages but won't come out in English until 2010. I would recommend making yourself a little family tree chart when it gets to the part about the family being investigated. They're all mentioned in one section, so you could just mark that with a slip of paper and go back to it.
    Count your blessings!

I have The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in my to read pile. My mom loves it. Although, I don't think I will have that much problems with the Swedish names

I'm currently reading Slumdog Millionaire. It's quite a fascinating tale, and a quick read as well. It's also great reading a book that takes place in India as opposed to US/UK/Sweden as the books I normally read do.

I thought I'd better come back and make sure I clarify that Dragon Tattoo deals with kinky and brutal sex, but not long, drawn-out graphic scenes. A few graphic moments that might make you squirm. So if that's something you have an aversion to reading, I want to be clear. It also deals with fianancial fraud and there is a lot of stuff over my head about that, but the characters are just incredible. I want to gather Salander up and hug her, but she would elbow me in the stomach.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by donnah fe;3672571;
    ahmmm....
    wuthering heights
    i'm not impress a bit...
    try googling 'Wuthering Heights wiki' odds are you will get a hit and a pretty good synopsis.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread