+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Does anyone, by chance, know the name of a "coming of age" book for girls that tells all about the body, and also has pictures so that you can see what's normal and what's not. It was being talked about quite a bit a couple of years ago, but I can't remember its name. It sounded like a great book to have with your daughters/granddaughters. I wanted to buy it, but I have drawn a blank. I'm pretty sure I'd know the title if I heard it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3662643;
    I finished The Fire this afternoon and, although I enjoyed it, it wasn't nearly as good at The Eight. Hard to top that book, but I guess I expected it to be just as great. Like I said, I enjoyed it and am glad I read it, but it didn't blow me away.
    After reading The Eight a couple of times (I really loved it), I took all of Katherine Neville's other books out of the library. Each and every one of them was a disappointment. I will read The Fire eventually, but I don't have high hopes.

Anyway, what am I currently reading? Death's Jest-Book by Reginald Hill. I absolutely love Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe series, but really don't care much for his other works, which is hugely disappointing since I, based on my D&P love, purchased nearly everything he has written and am now the proud owner of quite a number of books that I don't care for.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3664737;
    Does anyone, by chance, know the name of a "coming of age" book for girls that tells all about the body, and also has pictures so that you can see what's normal and what's not. It was being talked about quite a bit a couple of years ago, but I can't remember its name. It sounded like a great book to have with your daughters/granddaughters. I wanted to buy it, but I have drawn a blank. I'm pretty sure I'd know the title if I heard it.
    Are you thinking of Our Bodies, Our Selves? Besides the original there are (I believe) ones for teens, menopause, and pregnancy.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That's it! That's it! Thank you!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Regular

Just finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, all 560 pages of it. Liked it better than I thought I would. Now on to Columbine by David Cullen. I'm in need of little dose of non-fiction.

Has anyone read Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker? I am going to pick it up tonight because someone reccomended it to me. It sounds really creepy and disturbing, hopefully it won't be too scary though! I'm not usually into thrillers but this one just sounded so unique that I couldn't resist.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on my Kindle. I was listening to it on CDs in the car, but my daughter went on a trip so I'm not driving her to work and back every day, so decided to finish it this way.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3668991;
    Has anyone read Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker? I am going to pick it up tonight because someone reccomended it to me. It sounds really creepy and disturbing, hopefully it won't be too scary though! I'm not usually into thrillers but this one just sounded so unique that I couldn't resist.
    I haven't read that one, but I love Barker. My favorite will always be Imajica

I finished Mississippi Sissy yesterday and OMG. What a life Kevin Sessums had all before he even turned 20! I'm always in awe of people who can just open their life up in a memoir and tell their deepest secrets. It's incredible. Not an easy book to read at times because the things that happened to him - the death of both parents, sexual abuse, etc. - aren't easy to read about, but the book was so well written and so painfully honest. A definite I mean, who couldn't like someone who wrote their sixth grade book report on The Valley of the Dolls?

I just started Albert Sanchez Pinol's Pandora in the Congo and I'm already totally hooked! I was laughing within the first few pages. It's too hard for me to try to explain (especially since I'm only 65 pages in) so here's a write-up from Amazon:
    Tommy Thomson is a ghostwriter for a ghostwriter for a ghostwriter—a layering that sets the tone here—who writes pulp adventure novels, one of the most egregious of them being Pandora in the Congo, the book that got Tommy a job writing up Marcus Garvey’s unbelievable trip to the Congo. Awaiting trial for two murders and the possession of two enormous diamonds, Garvey spins a tale of horrific tribulation, adventure, discovery, and true love in the Belgian Congo. Tommy lashes those elements together and becomes increasingly involved with the story, so far as to talk to the murdered men’s father. Tommy intersperses the story of his own life with Garvey’s such that the trials of a ghostwriter, life in a boardinghouse, and the beginning of World War I also read as pulp adventures. Eventually, Tommy finishes the book, and Marcus goes to trial, at which point all threads are woven together, and the truth proves to be yet another story. Although exploiting pulp formulas, Piñol highlights the nature of truth and love with unexpected elegance.
    In some ways, it reminds me of Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which is a very positive comparison. I picked this one up because the cover was so cool, but I'm liking the book itself even more!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm almost finished with Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. It's a really good creepy suspense novel. I highly recommend it. The main character is a reporter who is sent back to her small hometown to cover the story of two murdered girls. She has another novel, Dark Places, which I'm going to request from the library.

I'm also reading Bubbles Betrothed by Sarah Strohmeyer which is as frothy as the title, it's an excellent summer read.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3669640;
    I'm almost finished with Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. It's a really good creepy suspense novel. I highly recommend it. The main character is a reporter who is sent back to her small hometown to cover the story of two murdered girls. She has another novel, Dark Places, which I'm going to request from the library.

I'm also reading Bubbles Betrothed by Sarah Strohmeyer which is as frothy as the title, it's an excellent summer read.
    Oh, I love creepy suspense.
    Thanks. I will have to order this one, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread