+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished the Brytewood Trilogy by Georgia Evans. The books are Bloody Good, Bloody Awful and Bloody Right. They are based during World War II in the small village of Brytewood. There is a secret munitions plant located near Brytewood and the Nazi's have just airlifted 4 Vampires into the area to cause trouble. The trilogy is a delight as it really has the atmosphere of a small English village, evacuees, air raids, rationing, and of course Others who battle the Nazi vampires. All quite good fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Has anyone read the Crimes of Fashion mystery books? I watched two tv movies based on the books (starring Maggie Lawson) and they were pretty good so I was wondering how the books were (especially in comparison to the movies).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3661307;
    Has anyone read the Crimes of Fashion mystery books? I watched two tv movies based on the books (starring Maggie Lawson) and they were pretty good so I was wondering how the books were (especially in comparison to the movies).
    I saw the movies too, CCL and thought they were cute. I haven't read the books either.

I finished The Fire this afternoon and, although I enjoyed it, it wasn't nearly as good at The Eight. Hard to top that book, but I guess I expected it to be just as great. Like I said, I enjoyed it and am glad I read it, but it didn't blow me away.

I just started Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I bought at least 2 years ago Looks like it will be a quick read. I love his writing style and the story is really absorbing. We have family friends who fled Afghanistan when the Soviets invaded, so I have heard stories. Of course, our friends got out, so they didn't go through the kinds of things that people who stayed did, but they certainly haven't had it easy here. Anyway, so far (30 pages in) the book is a definite
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I read The Help (on my kindle). Awesome book. I highly recommend it. Mississippi in the '60's told mostly through the eyes of Black ladies' maids.
    Count your blessings!

now I'm smilingmomof4!!!! smilingmomof3's Avatar

I'm reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. It's one of my DH's all time faves. It's huge and super long but I am already getting invested. . . I'll keep you posted if I recommend it as highly as my hubby does.
    ***"It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages" - Nietzsche *** "A woman who strives to be equal to a man is lacking in ambition"***

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The only problem with big, fat books is how annoyed I am when I read the whole book and am very disappointed by the ending. I've read one monster, and I was so p.o.'ed at the ending that I will never do it again! All of that time committed for ...bupkis!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

A Thousand Splendid Suns was incredible! I finished it yesterday and cried through about the last 100 pages. So powerful.

I'm now reading Mississippi Sissy by Kevin Sessums, a journalist who's written for Interview and Vanity Fair, among others. It's the story of his growing up gay in Mississippi in the 50's and 60's. It took about 20 pages to get into it, but now I'm really loving it. He's got a real way with words and with painting a picture. Why is it that tough childhoods tend to give rise to really creative people?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

They've got a lot to get out. I think they've spent a lot of time turned inward.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3576201;
    Looking forward to hearing about this one! I read a 'teen book' earlier this year about a girl who wanted to belong so badly that she was willing to subject herself to a group of negative girls who just wanted to use her. It was well done. She even ditched a new friend that she really respected and liked to try to be part of the nasty group. It was pretty good. Can't remember the name of it right now. It was a quick little read.
    I'm yet waiting on this one; unfortunately my library still hasn't received their copy from the publisher.

In the meantime, I read Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart B*s Guide to Romance Novels. Hilarious. They break down all the character archetypes and plot tropes and poke a lot of fun while really making clever observations about why they (and tons of other people) love to read romances. I haven't read much of the genre, but you really don't need to have read a lot of romance novels to enjoy this book. And really, it's worth checking out just for the Choose Your Own Adventure and Mad Libs sections at the end.

I also just finished Carrie, since I've been watching the movie a lot lately. It's the only horror movie I've ever been able to watch, since I enjoy the story and I can always just flip it off at the last 5 minutes. But I really loved the book; even though it was a lot gorier than the film it was so poetic and atmospheric and character-driven. This is the only Stephen King book I've ever read; can anybody recommend any of his non-horror books that are worth taking a look at?

"Smooth Talking Stranger" by Lisa Kleypas
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread