+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Gut,
    Please continue to keep us posted on your experiences with the Kindle.
    At our Library Board meeting last night, one of our members mentioned that she, too, was looking into getting it and I think she's as excited as you. Interestingly, she's an ex teacher.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Am about 2/3 through Kate Mosse's The Labyrinth and am getting angry at both heroines for being such stupid twits. If everyone acted like they did I wonder how anyone can be a guardian of any 4,000 yr old secret.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3658097;
    I apologize ahead of time to anyone who's heard enough of my infatuation with my kindle. It arrived 4 hours ago and I can't believe how much I love it. I started putting books in my archives at Amazon as soon as I ordered it - most free or under $1. After I opened it, and read the tutorial, I taught myself how to navigate by dipping into about half of my "library", occasionally getting caught up in stories beyond more than a taste. I've looked up the 23rd Psalm and had the voice option read it to me (options include man or woman's voice, faster, slower), read quotes by Mark Twain, fairy tales from six different countries, learned how to search for a story if the table of contents isn't interactive, ordered a free chapter of a book I want to read (from the Kindle). It doesn't require any connection to the computer at all, although you can download files from your computer or charge it on the computer like an iPod. I've looked up recipes in my several cookbooks by ingredient, learned pearls from ancient mystics (and "bookmarked" the best ones), adapted to writing styles of Whitman, Thoreau, P.G. Wodehouse (Jeeves), the Dalai Lama, "Uncle Remus", etc. I'd love to answer anyone's questions - by PM, if the tolerance level for my ululations is low here. (If this were a kindle and you didn't know what "ululations" meant, you could highlight it and the definition would pop up, or you could go to Wikipedia to learn the entire history of the word.)
    Gut - feel free to start a Kindle thread and answer all the questions you want! I'm sure there are lots of people who'd like to know more about the Kindle. It sounds really cool, btw. Wish I could afford a new toy, but until I find a new job, I'm stuck with the $1 bin at the used book store! I'll just have to live vicariously through you!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Start a thread! Start a thread!! Start a thread!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'd love to answer anyone's questions - by PM, if the tolerance level for my ululations is low here. (If this were a kindle and you didn't know what "ululations" meant, you could highlight it and the definition would pop up, or you could go to Wikipedia to lI'd love to answer anyone's questions - by PM, if the tolerance level for my ululations is low here.

Gut,

That could be the Jeopardy word of the day!

An ululation (aka ololuge or ololygmos) is a long, wavering, high-pitched sound resembling the howl of a dog or wolf with a trilling quality. It is exclusive to women, and is produced by emiting a high pitched loud voice accompanied with a rapid movement of the tongue and the uvula. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ululation

The uvula is the conic projection from the posterior edge of the middle of the soft palate, composed of connective tissue containing a number of ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uvula

And I Can Do It!!! It can be ear-shattering!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Dexterhaven 2 001.jpg

I think it's the same sound that my dear departed cat, Dex, used to make when he wanted to eat in the morning.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 08-12-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Dashing Dex! He had that smoochable face, I see. This noise is the one you hear some women from another country making (can't remember which country it is, nor why they are making it. I just know that I mastered it, and it is fun! )

Thanks for the lovely comment on Dex. I think he's smiling down from the Rainbow Bridge upon hearing it. And, I just saw the comment in the Animal thread, so I had to post this there, as well.

I do think I know the scream / sound / voice and I'm not going to even say where I heard it.

I was actually at a wedding reception in Kenya where it is a tradition of the Kikuyu tribe for the women to do this in a mob around the bride when she arrives (ululation). It kind of takes you by surprise when you don't know it's coming. On topic: I started reading Sara Crewe, and The Secret Garden while I waited for my daughter to sign out at work. It took less than 5 seconds for each book, to buy it, return to the home page where it had already loaded, and start reading them (both free). I should be posting this on the new Kindle thread!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread