+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Thanks, Gut, for answering some of my questions. I guess I'd still have a concern about paying that much for the kindle and then having to pay $10 for most books. Currently, I reserve at the library and I seldom purchase books any more. So, the cost of these books ( based on how much I read ) could definitely get pricey, it seems.
    Can you tell me this too? I do most of my reading at the gym on the treadmill. How would that work with the kindle? Would I be able to put it on the book rest like I do currently with my books? Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3652851;
    I didn't directly answer norealityhere's question: you do have to pay for books, except for those in public domain (thousands). Most are $9.99 - some more, some less. You can download the first chapter of any book for free to see if you like it. So if someone recommends a book, you can download the first chapter on the spot so you don't forget about it. You can also get newspapers, magazines, and blogs. Some authors offer one of their low-selling books for free to get you in their camp, and lots of authors offer the first book of a series free, hoping you'll buy the rest. If you are a writer, one author says he loads his manuscripts-in-progress from his computer and has the voice option read it to him, so he can hear how it sounds, and edits from there. You can write in the margins, which I started doing as a grad student. Bad habit, but not so, here. My daughter's boyfriend has the Sony and loves it, but I'm a big fan of Amazon. I have my credit card through them and get my kick-backs in the form of Amazon gift certificates.
    That is an awesome feature! Congratulations on your new 'toy', I hope you have lots of fun with it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd like to use one before I bought it. Test drive it, if you will.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You can try it for 30 days and return it if you don't like it.
    norealityhere - it is about the size of a paperback, but thinner, so yes - it would work on a treadmill book stand.
    Count your blessings!

Ack! Sorry to double-post, but if you're interested in seeing what books are free on Kindle (or any other ebook) search "project Gutenberg" or go to Main Page - Gutenberg
    Count your blessings!

Gut,

Thanks for all the answers.
    In the meantime, can you keep us all posted of how your experience goes with the Kindle, as I think a lot of us would love to hear about this.
    Enjoy.

Well, I got one chapter into The Fire and realized I couldn't remember anything from The Eight, which I read about ten years ago! I re-read The Eight and am now reading The Fire and am not confused! I'm sad that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Solarin gets killed, since he was one of my favorite characters
    but I'm enjoying the book nonetheless. It was so nice to get to meet Katherine Neville and hear her talk about writing both books. I like it when someone whose work I admire turns out to be a nice person, be it an actor, artist or a writer!

The booksellers convention I go to every year is in October, so I'm really making an effort to read all (fifty ) of the books I got last year so I can "fill up" this year without guilt. So far, I'm about half way through the pile. The new Wally Lamb (The Hour When I First Believed, I think) and the new Dennis Lehane (Any Given Day) are in that pile and they're both HUGE! Anyone read either of them?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just read still life the new one by joy fielding, and I have to say I was really looking forward to it, but finished it feeling disapointed..it was well written and there were good parts, but it didn't live up to her normal standard of completely shocking and surprising me
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3657020;
    Well, I got one chapter into The Fire and realized I couldn't remember anything from The Eight, which I read about ten years ago! I re-read The Eight and am now reading The Fire and am not confused! I'm sad that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Solarin gets killed, since he was one of my favorite characters
    but I'm enjoying the book nonetheless. It was so nice to get to meet Katherine Neville and hear her talk about writing both books. I like it when someone whose work I admire turns out to be a nice person, be it an actor, artist or a writer!

The booksellers convention I go to every year is in October, so I'm really making an effort to read all (fifty ) of the books I got last year so I can "fill up" this year without guilt. So far, I'm about half way through the pile. The new Wally Lamb (The Hour When I First Believed, I think) and the new Dennis Lehane (Any Given Day) are in that pile and they're both HUGE! Anyone read either of them?
    I picked up Dennis Lehane's book at the library. Then, when I read the blurb and saw how many pages it was, I quickly returned it to the shelf. I've read every single 1 of his books, but this one didn't look at all appealing, foe me at least.
    So, if you read it, please give us your critique.
    Thanks

I apologize ahead of time to anyone who's heard enough of my infatuation with my kindle. It arrived 4 hours ago and I can't believe how much I love it. I started putting books in my archives at Amazon as soon as I ordered it - most free or under $1. After I opened it, and read the tutorial, I taught myself how to navigate by dipping into about half of my "library", occasionally getting caught up in stories beyond more than a taste. I've looked up the 23rd Psalm and had the voice option read it to me (options include man or woman's voice, faster, slower), read quotes by Mark Twain, fairy tales from six different countries, learned how to search for a story if the table of contents isn't interactive, ordered a free chapter of a book I want to read (from the Kindle). It doesn't require any connection to the computer at all, although you can download files from your computer or charge it on the computer like an iPod. I've looked up recipes in my several cookbooks by ingredient, learned pearls from ancient mystics (and "bookmarked" the best ones), adapted to writing styles of Whitman, Thoreau, P.G. Wodehouse (Jeeves), the Dalai Lama, "Uncle Remus", etc. I'd love to answer anyone's questions - by PM, if the tolerance level for my ululations is low here. (If this were a kindle and you didn't know what "ululations" meant, you could highlight it and the definition would pop up, or you could go to Wikipedia to learn the entire history of the word.)
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-12-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread