+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Double-posting because I finally broke down and ordered a Kindle from Amazon!!!!!!! I've been resisting almost daily, but when I went to check out a title someone mentioned here, I was distracted by the fact that the newest version finally went down in price. I researched people's comments, FAQs, service maps, all the functions - it really is way more versatile than just reading books. I am beside myself with eagerness. I couldn't bring myself to pay the extra for one-day delivery when the free delivery usually only takes 2 or 3 days, but I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. I'm giddy, I tell you.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm excited for you! Can't wait to get details!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm still not quite clear to how it works. Does it stash lots of books into its hard drive? Is it similar to an MP3 player except that you load it with books, instaed of songs? Do you have to keep paying to add books to it?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Fort Member

I read a couple of recent reviews on the Kindle verses the Sony Reader and the Sony Reader won hands down in both as well as with users and it certainly is cheaper and definatly looks better than the kindle.
    Still, think I prefer my paper books.

Well, I'm saddle-sore from searching e-books yesterday. You load books into your archives and then you can read them whenever. If you don't know a word, you just highlight it and the dictionary function defines it for you. There are tons of books in public domain (free) so even though I don't have the physical Kindle yet, I've started loading them on my account. The Kindle stores 1,500 books and you also have Amazon archives as a back-up if you have more than that. P.G. Wodehouse (Jeeves) is public domain and I love those. I mostly started a library of reference books - Bartletts quotes, the Bible, poetry, treatises from a lot of the Eastern religions and philosophers, Spanish and French dictionaries, etc. You can transfer documents from your PC, load music, go to Wikipedia, check your e-mail, etc. There is no extra charge for whispernet, but it isn't available everywhere. I was thinking of getting one for my daughter for Christmas, but the whispernet isn't in her college town. If you're thinking of getting one, definitely check whether you're covered first. She could go to the next town and load books (once they're loaded you can read them any time) but wouldn't have the other functions. I was thinking it would save her a lot on text books, but I'm not sure text books are even available for sale. If you are interested, go to Amazon and check out the Kindle owner discussions, especially the non-reading uses. One cool function is that you can click a button and it changes to audio, so if you have to stop reading to make dinner, it will read to you aloud.
    Count your blessings!

I have been looking into getting a kindle, but was told about the Sony EReader so I'm not sure which one to get and as to which one is better.

I am currently reading The Duggars 20 and Counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3652769;
    Well, I'm saddle-sore from searching e-books yesterday. You load books into your archives and then you can read them whenever. If you don't know a word, you just highlight it and the dictionary function defines it for you. There are tons of books in public domain (free) so even though I don't have the physical Kindle yet, I've started loading them on my account. The Kindle stores 1,500 books and you also have Amazon archives as a back-up if you have more than that. P.G. Wodehouse (Jeeves) is public domain and I love those. I mostly started a library of reference books - Bartletts quotes, the Bible, poetry, treatises from a lot of the Eastern religions and philosophers, Spanish and French dictionaries, etc. You can transfer documents from your PC, load music, go to Wikipedia, check your e-mail, etc. There is no extra charge for whispernet, but it isn't available everywhere. I was thinking of getting one for my daughter for Christmas, but the whispernet isn't in her college town. If you're thinking of getting one, definitely check whether you're covered first. She could go to the next town and load books (once they're loaded you can read them any time) but wouldn't have the other functions. I was thinking it would save her a lot on text books, but I'm not sure text books are even available for sale. If you are interested, go to Amazon and check out the Kindle owner discussions, especially the non-reading uses. One cool function is that you can click a button and it changes to audio, so if you have to stop reading to make dinner, it will read to you aloud.
    I've heard that textbooks are available for downloading, or at least will be soon. With the sizes and weights of a lot of those books, that woud be a huge plus for getting some kind of electronic book machine. And I'm sure that which brand is better is user-dependent.

I'm waiting to check out other books from my library, but it had a flood and is sick right now.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I didn't directly answer norealityhere's question: you do have to pay for books, except for those in public domain (thousands). Most are $9.99 - some more, some less. You can download the first chapter of any book for free to see if you like it. So if someone recommends a book, you can download the first chapter on the spot so you don't forget about it. You can also get newspapers, magazines, and blogs. Some authors offer one of their low-selling books for free to get you in their camp, and lots of authors offer the first book of a series free, hoping you'll buy the rest. If you are a writer, one author says he loads his manuscripts-in-progress from his computer and has the voice option read it to him, so he can hear how it sounds, and edits from there. You can write in the margins, which I started doing as a grad student. Bad habit, but not so, here. My daughter's boyfriend has the Sony and loves it, but I'm a big fan of Amazon. I have my credit card through them and get my kick-backs in the form of Amazon gift certificates.
    Count your blessings!

Is there any kind of monthly charge?

Nope! None at all.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread