+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am reading Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King by Lisa Rogak. Its pretty good with stuff I never knew about the author, that make a lot of sense as to his writing. Book Chase: Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by atlMD;3635227[B
    ;]I liked The Associate[/B]. I am right now reading Swimsuit by James Patterson. Page tuner like most of his books. This one is in cohort with Maxine Paetro.
    Did you like the ending?
    There was no resolution.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I won't read any James Patterson book that he's "written" with another author any more. Generally, what that means is that Patterson gave the plot to another writer and that person actually wrote the book. I refuse to give Patterson any money for being lazy and greedy like that. Plus, I've read a few of them and they were pretty bad.

I finished The Piano Teacher last night and LOVED it! It's set in Hong Kong and part of the plot is in the early 40's before and during the Japanese invasion. The other half of the story takes place 10 years later. As the story progresses, the two plots become intertwined. Here's a write up from Publishers Weekly:
    Former Elle editor Lee delivers a standout debut dealing with the rigors of love and survival during a time of war, and the consequences of choices made under duress. Claire Pendleton, newly married and arrived in Hong Kong in 1952, finds work giving piano lessons to the daughter of Melody and Victor Chen, a wealthy Chinese couple. While the girl is less than interested in music, the Chens' flinty British expat driver, Will Truesdale, is certainly interested in Claire, and vice versa. Their fast-blossoming affair is juxtaposed against a plot line beginning in 1941 when Will gets swept up by the beautiful and tempestuous Trudy Liang, and then follows through his life during the Japanese occupation. As Claire and Will's affair becomes common knowledge, so do the specifics of Will's murky past, Trudy's motivations and Victor's role in past events. The rippling of past actions through to the present lends the narrative layers of intrigue and more than a few unexpected twists. Lee covers a little-known time in Chinese history without melodrama, and deconstructs without judgment the choices people make in order to live one more day under torturous circumstances.
    I finally picked The Fire by Katherine Neville off the shelf last night. I think, since I got in in October, it's time to read it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just read shutter island and loved the book until I got to the last chapter..I don't get it at all, could someone who read it help me out? I'm enjoying dennis lehane so much I just picked up another of his..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I finally got my reserved copy of Finger Lickin' Fifteen from the library. It took so long because I wanted the audio book. The narrator (Lorelei King) makes Lula and Grandma Mazur even funnier. I'm on disc three and so far so good.

I'll have to ask if our library has it on audio. I've been listening to my first audio book ever (A Plague of Doves by Louise Edrich) when I take my daughter to work and pick her up. It took a while for me to get used to paying attention while I drive and also to the slower pace than when I read a book, but I'm liking it now. I love Erdrich, so that was a good one to start with. I have 6 hours each way when I take my daughter to college in a couple of weeks, so I'll have to see what else they have on cd.
    Count your blessings!

I dont know if Id enjoy audio books..there is something special about having a book in your hands, turning the pages, and watching the ending come closer and closer.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I used to have boring data entry job where you weren't supposed to talk, but you could listen to audiobooks/ipod/or the radio. That's when I really learned to appreciate audio books, because they made the day go so much faster. Now there are certain book series that I just love on audio book because of their narrators (Harry Potter, Stephanie Plum, Odd Thomas). And there are some authors that I have to read with my own eyes (Ruth Rendell, Stephen King, Laura Lippman and bunches more!).

Audio books are great for keeping me entertained when I'm doing boring old housework, and they were fabulous when I was packing and unpacking last month.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3649466;
    I used to have boring data entry job where you weren't supposed to talk, but you could listen to audiobooks/ipod/or the radio. That's when I really learned to appreciate audio books, because they made the day go so much faster. Now there are certain book series that I just love on audio book because of their narrators (Harry Potter, Stephanie Plum, Odd Thomas). And there are some authors that I have to read with my own eyes (Ruth Rendell, Stephen King, Laura Lippman and bunches more!).

Audio books are great for keeping me entertained when I'm doing boring old housework, and they were fabulous when I was packing and unpacking last month.
    I agree. I currently have one of those jobs and I get to spend my day listening to books on tape. Right now I'm going back through the classics and have just gotten Persuasion by Jane Austen and Wurthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

There are pros and cons to audio books ( still on my first one). If you have dead time - an hour of driving daily, for me - it is an excellent way to fill it. The things I had to adjust to are 1. I read much faster so the pace seems slow. 2. Driving and listening was a skill I had to learn. 3. When you're at home and want to further the storyline, you can't just pick up the book. 4. Switching the discs while driving when you get to the end of one.
    I have Girl with a Dragon Tattoo in my car for when I finish Plague of Doves.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread