+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I picked up that Edgar Sawtelle book - something about dogs - at the library yesterday. A lot of hoopla about it on Oprah's list or something. Don't give away whatever the surprise is at the end, but have people here liked it?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3630403;
    I picked up that Edgar Sawtelle book - something about dogs - at the library yesterday. A lot of hoopla about it on Oprah's list or something. Don't give away whatever the surprise is at the end, but have people here liked it?
    Loved it! It's very well written. But didn't finish it yet, so I can't possibly give away the ending. That sounds like a criticism of the book (that I put it down and didn't finish it), but I just got too busy. I am both a teacher (middle school special ed resource) and taking university courses online.

It's such a good book that to do justice to it, I will start it over at the beginning.

I just finished The God of War by Marisa Silver. It's about a 12 year old boy who lives with his mother and 6 year old brother near the Salton Sea.

It was really well written, and the characters were believable. It's a pretty quick read, I recommend it.

Well, I finished The Road yesterday and I can honestly say that I'll be haunted by that book for a long time. I know some people didn't like it and I can understand why, but I thought it was spectacular. I can't say I loved it because it's not that kind of book. Still, I could hardly put it down. As one of the reviews in the book said, you feel like, by reading it, you're keeping the characters alive. There's such a sense of menace that you never know what's going to happen from page to page, but there's also this urgency that makes you keep reading. The writing was beautiful. McCarthy is a master. I found myself re-reading passages because the language was so beautiful.

Anything I read after that will suffer by comparison, but still....Next up is The Piano Teacher by Janice K. Lee, a first time novelist. It's set in Hong Kong in 1942 right around the time of the Japanese invasion. I've heard good things, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-01-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Road has stayed with me for a long, long time. Someone urged me to read it when it first came out. I have read several end of the world books but this one made all the others look silly. My favorite part was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when they found the underground safe room with food, supplies, water - I wanted them to stay there as long as they could!
    Count your blessings!

Ger

I am now reading Janet Evanovich "Finger Licken Fifteen" and I really love her books

I just finsihed John Grisham's The Associate. What a letdown. There is no denouement, whatsoever. Very disappointing.
    I am going to start Child 44 which has been highly recommended. Can't wait.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3630403;
    Just started it Saturday--it's the next selection for my book group. I'm about 120 pages in and I like it so far. I haven't heard good things about it but I do like it, actually.

Finished The Book Thief as well--quite the book, I gotta say.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3633174;
    I just finsihed John Grisham's The Associate. What a letdown. There is no denouement, whatsoever. Very disappointing.
    I am going to start Child 44 which has been highly recommended. Can't wait.

I liked The Associate. I am right now reading Swimsuit by James Patterson. Page tuner like most of his books. This one is in cohort with Maxine Paetro.

I just finished Shanghai Moon by S. J. Rozan - I loved this book!!! I've only read one other (Stone Quarry) in the PI Bill Smith/Lydia Chin series in which the author alternates perspective in every other book between these two lead characters. I can't stop thinking about it, and have asked the library to order more books in the series.
    I will soon begin a bargain box purchase by Lisa Gardener, "The Perfect Husband" and then start the most recent Linda Lael Miller book "The Bridegroom".
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread