+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3623447;
    you'll have to let us know, I loved some of james patterson, but lately he has been rather blah to me..
    Don't bother with Swimsuit... It started out rather promising and went downhill fast.

my bookclub (for some reason unknown to me!) picked The Thornbirds to read this month. I was thinking for some reason it has a very sad ending. Can anyone tell me if that's so. PM me if you don't wish to spoil anything for anyone else. I really don't like reading books that don't have happy endings. I think it's because I've had a sad enough life as it is!

eta because I forgot what I starting posting in the first place. I am reading Hester Brown's The Finishing Touches. It probably falls under the chicklit genre. I enjoyed all her other books, and so far I really like this one as well.
    Last edited by justCoz; 07-30-2009 at 12:18 PM.

I finished Certain Girls yesterday and, in spite of a shocker near the end that I definitely didn't see coming, I really enjoyed it. Definitely

I'm now reading Blood Memory by Greg Iles. It's the standard mystery/thriller, but I'm really enjoying it. Plus, it's over 700 pages and I paid $1 for it, so it's a bargain!

Next, I'll probably read McCarthy's The Road. After some chick lit and a few thrillers, I need a change of pace. If I read a bunch of books in the same genre I get BORED!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3625836;
    I finished Certain Girls yesterday and, in spite of a shocker near the end that I definitely didn't see coming, I really enjoyed it. Definitely

I'm now reading Blood Memory by Greg Iles. It's the standard mystery/thriller, but I'm really enjoying it. Plus, it's over 700 pages and I paid $1 for it, so it's a bargain!

Next, I'll probably read McCarthy's The Road. After some chick lit and a few thrillers, I need a change of pace. If I read a bunch of books in the same genre I get BORED!
    I would be interested to hear what you think when you finish this one. I had high hopes going into it and ended up pretty disappointed, but other people I know loved it.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I've read several of his books and they are very good.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

After some chick lit and a few thrillers, I need a change of pace. If I read a bunch of books in the same genre I get BORED!
    I do that, too! I not only can't read the same author's books back to back, I have to switch genres -- like no two British mysteries in a row, or no two Southern lit books in a row.

I also need the change of pace -- sort of like clearing my palate between courses.

I loved The Road! We were actually a 50/50 split with my book club though. It is a pretty dark book.

Quote Originally Posted by tamelaine;3625973;
    I loved The Road! We were actually a 50/50 split with my book club though. It is a pretty dark book.
    Is the road by Cormac McCarthy?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3626025;
    Is the road by Cormac McCarthy?
    Yes. They are making it into a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3624932;
    my bookclub (for some reason unknown to me!) picked The Thornbirds to read this month. I was thinking for some reason it has a very sad ending. Can anyone tell me if that's so. PM me if you don't wish to spoil anything for anyone else. I really don't like reading books that don't have happy endings. I think it's because I've had a sad enough life as it is!

eta because I forgot what I starting posting in the first place. I am reading Hester Brown's The Finishing Touches. It probably falls under the chicklit genre. I enjoyed all her other books, and so far I really like this one as well.
    It's an epic novel so there are sad (and happy) moments throughout the book. I wouldn't say it had a sad or happy ending, it's not that kind of book. I read it about 20 years ago and I still remember it fondly, so I would recommend it highly.

+ Reply to Thread