+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh

These are not your normal lovey dovey Angel's. They are scarey. I have been reading the author's Pysch/Changeling series and totally love it. This is the first of her Guild Hunter series. This author has an amazing talent for creating new worlds and species relationships. Not your typical paranormal and well worth reading.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by EmmasMama;3614221;
    Yes - are her other ones even better?? (Love your profile pic btw!)
    I've only read her original Stephanie Plum series, so I can't personally comment on the other books.
    I have talked / heard from others who've read the others. Some enjoyed them, but not as much as the original series. I haven't heard from anyone, personally, who liked the other series more. But, I think, as with anything, it's probably a matter of personal preference.
    Glad you like my avatar.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Has anyone here read Child 44 yet?
    It's a mystery thriller set against the backdrop of 50's Russia communism, I believe.
    One of my buddies at the gym just finished it and he said it was one of the best books he's ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3620780;
    I've only read her original Stephanie Plum series, so I can't personally comment on the other books.
    I have talked / heard from others who've read the others. Some enjoyed them, but not as much as the original series. I haven't heard from anyone, personally, who liked the other series more. But, I think, as with anything, it's probably a matter of personal preference.
    Glad you like my avatar.
    What other Stephanie Plum series are you referring too? I am confused, (and getting excited) because I thought there was only one Stephanie Plum series with "Plum between the numbers" books as stand alone additions? Was there something before One for the Money, ...... all the way to Finger Lickin Fifteen?

If so, I want them and will search everywhere for them - just give me more clues... Thanks so much!!!

I've read the first books she wrote before she created SP, but nothing else...... I'm getting excited.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Regular

I'm reading the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher. I'm enjoying them very much. Great summer reads

I just got done reading the fourth book of Twilight. I'm sad to be done reading it, but can't wait for the new movie!

I am going to start reading LA Candy by Lauren Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3621245;
    What other Stephanie Plum series are you referring too? I am confused, (and getting excited) because I thought there was only one Stephanie Plum series with "Plum between the numbers" books as stand alone additions? Was there something before One for the Money, ...... all the way to Finger Lickin Fifteen?

If so, I want them and will search everywhere for them - just give me more clues... Thanks so much!!!

I've read the first books she wrote before she created SP, but nothing else...... I'm getting excited.
    Stephanie Plum books in order are:
    One for the Money
    Two for the Dough
    Three to Get Deadly
    Four to Score
    High Five
    Hot Six
    Seven Up
    Hard Eight
    Visions of Sugar Plums
    To the Nines
    Ten Big Ones
    Eleven on Top
    Twelve Sharp
    Plum Lovin'
    Lean Mean Thirteen
    Plum Lucky
    Fearless Fourteen
    Plum Spooky
    Finger Lickin' Fifteen

An anthology (The Plot Thickens) featuring The Last Peep, a Stephanie Plum short story.

There are 3 books that are 3 books in 1:

Three Plums in One (books 1, 2 3)
    More Plums in One (books 4,5,6)
    Between the Plums (the first 3 between books)

Evanovich's Alex Barnaby series is good also: 1.Metro Girl and 2.Motor Mouth.

Then there are the contemporaries she wrote before she did the SP books.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-29-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts, which was inexplicably in the Chapters bargain bin. I still say this guy is a bigger writing talent than his dad, just not getting nearly the attention he deserves. This is a book of short stories and one novella - haven't gotten to the novella yet but "Pop Art" is one of the best short stories I've EVER read.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I finished The Rose Labyrinth a few days ago and, while I'm glad I read it, there was a little too much expository info for my tastes. The author has written a number of non-fiction books about symbolism and myth and she poured (seemingly) all of it into the book. There were parts that got too heavy on information to the point where I felt completely lost. If it's important to the plot, then great. If it's just MORE, then leave it out! Most of the book was really good, but the last 100 pages or so - when the action should have picked up - were just a little bogged down with facts.

To cleanse my palate, so to speak, I read some fluffier fare. I finished Lauren Weisberger's Everyone Worth Knowing in an afternoon - think The Devil Wears Prada only with a PR firm. I read Killer Weekend by Ridley Pearson yesterday. Not one of his best, but still pretty good.

Now I'm reading Jennifer Weiner's Certain Girls, which is a sequel to Good in Bed. I love her writing style. It's been so long since I read Good in Bed that I feel like I should have gone back and read it again before I started this one. Still, I'm really liking it a lot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3621245;

MG,
    It looks like Bearcata, I believe, was able to paste in all the books.
    I was commenting on the ones like Plum Lovin, Plum Lucky, etc. I have not read them because I did not get very good reviews from others about them. I am still waiting for my reserved copy of Finger Lickin Fifteen.

+ Reply to Thread