+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 707 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494144544 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey
    Do any of you parents still give "coming of age" books to your kids?

Like "Dear God It's Me Margaret" to pre-teen girls?

I know as a teenage boy I loved all the old SE Hinton books, "The Outsiders", "Rumble Fish", "Than Was Then This Is Now".

"Go Ask Alice" is a great book to give to teens to warn of the dangers of drug use. It gets the point across without being preachy.

I don't have kids to give books to, and my dog stamps out literacy at every turn, but I read those books myself. I don't think books have any real age limit.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Do any of you parents still give "coming of age" books to your kids?

Like "Dear God It's Me Margaret" to pre-teen girls?

I know as a teenage boy I loved all the old SE Hinton books, "The Outsiders", "Rumble Fish", "Than Was Then This Is Now".

"Go Ask Alice" is a great book to give to teens to warn of the dangers of drug use. It gets the point across without being preachy.
    Daddio, I read all of those books during that age range and they were great! (I believe most had a movie made from them). They really "spoke" to me on a certain level at that time of my young life.

Great suggestions!

FORT Fogey
    It is funny how books affect us at a certain age.

I know I was devastated when I learned that "Dick & Jane" got a divorce.
    Last edited by Daddio; 05-13-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I don't have kids to give books to, and my dog stamps out literacy at every turn, but I read those books myself. I don't think books have any real age limit.
    I dunno, Texie, I'm not so sure it was a great idea for me to read "Flowers in the Attic" at age 11

I know I said this in another book thread, but SE Hinton books were one of my favourites growing up (Judy Blume too, of course ). I remember how excited I was when I found out the author was female - I guess I liked the idea of a girl writing such cool stories.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJ, the VC Andrews stuff is so formulaic, with the beautiful girl and her f'ed up family situation in EVERY book, but they are so darned addictive!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I know, my mother-in-law has the whole freakin' set, and I always end up re-reading one of them when I visit. (Cathy's son Bart as an adult sounds pretty damn hot, anyway )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I recently finished reading "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them."

I just started reading "Going the Other Way," and it's shaping up to be a great read.

Does anyone else remember "The Babysitters Club"?

I loved "The Babysitters Club"
    Who shot who in the what now?

I loved "The Babysitters Club"
    So did I!

I'm reading Robert McCammon's Swan Song.

An ancient evil roams the desolate landscape of an America ravaged by nuclear war.

He is the Man with the Scarlet Eye, a malevolent force that feeds on the dark desires of the countless followers he has gathered into his service. His only desire is to find a special child named Swan -- and destroy her. But those who would protect the girl are determined to fight for what is left of the world and their souls.

In a wasteland born of rage, populated by monstrous creatures and marauding armies, the last survivors on earth have been drawn into the final battle between good and evil that will decide the fate of humanity....

+ Reply to Thread