+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3569247;
    Are you referring to Gogol? I don't think the character was cast right at all... in the book it is clearly stated a few times that he has a sharp face with a pointed nose and I just kept staring at this guy's nose which was broad and flat...

your new book sounds fun!
    Finished The Art of Racing in the Rain last night. Great book! So engaging and it's a very quick read. Highly recommend for dog-lovers, as the narrator is a dog. The author speaks on our campus tonight so I'm hoping to go.

Right now I'm reading Street Gang, a kind of biography/historiography about Sesame Street. It's firmly on the dense side, but I'm finding out so much about the world of children's entertainment, and edutainment, and even "multiculturalism", that I don't really mind.

I'm also first in my library hold line for this: Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading. It comes out in a couple weeks, and I'm exceptionally excited for it. As someone who last year spent a good chunk of her pitiful teacher's income trying to rebuild her Scholastic paperbacks collection, it sounds like the perfect summer read.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3576104;
    I'm also first in my library hold line for this: Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading. It comes out in a couple weeks, and I'm exceptionally excited for it. As someone who last year spent a good chunk of her pitiful teacher's income trying to rebuild her Scholastic paperbacks collection, it sounds like the perfect summer read.
    Looking forward to hearing about this one! I read a 'teen book' earlier this year about a girl who wanted to belong so badly that she was willing to subject herself to a group of negative girls who just wanted to use her. It was well done. She even ditched a new friend that she really respected and liked to try to be part of the nasty group. It was pretty good. Can't remember the name of it right now. It was a quick little read.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've been reading The Stand at work on my cig/lunch breaks. At home I've got 1 or two going. A lot depends on my mood. I might start one and then decide that I have to be in a different frame of mind to enjoy the read. Every so often I get a book that I absolutely hate or can't get into and I stop reading it. I don't care enough to finish it. I never used to do that when I was younger.

I do believe The Stand is the best thing Stephen King ever wrote! Two others that are excellent are The Dead Zone and Salem's Lot, which is a vampire story.

Most of his other stuff (and especially his newer stuff)? Eh, not so much...

I just finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, and I can't recommend it. I was very disappointed because I enjoyed her other books so much. It was long and boring and I just kept waiting to actually care or like the characters.

Now I'm reading Sookie #4 and Too Good To Be True by E. Lynn Harris. Both are holding my attention so far.

I am reading "the help" I think it was suggested to me here...

anyways, its really really...really good, Im only on page 100 and I cant put it down.

some parts are heartbreaking, and other parts have me giggling.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3582730;
    I just finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, and I can't recommend it. I was very disappointed because I enjoyed her other books so much. It was long and boring and I just kept waiting to actually care or like the characters.

Now I'm reading Sookie #4 and Too Good To Be True by E. Lynn Harris. Both are holding my attention so far.

I got to the middle to Too Good To Be True and had to put it down when the library called me to pick up a reserved book; the E. Lynn's book belongs to me. I can't wait to get back to it! I love this man's writing style. He can put a tight hold on your attention. I also read What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, which are his memoirs. It's all worth reading.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Finished Karen Chance's "Curse the Dawn" and "Midnight's Daughter". Great paranormals.

Also Ruth Downie's "Medicus", about a military Roman doctor in 101 AD Britannia. Bit of a murder mystery. Interesting to note that I visited the author's website and found out that England they have reenactors who protray life in England when they were ruled by Rome. I wonder if there is a website somewhere that tracks what kind of reenactors there are in different countries. I know here in the US it is mainly the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3588007;
    I am reading "the help" I think it was suggested to me here...

anyways, its really really...really good, Im only on page 100 and I cant put it down.

some parts are heartbreaking, and other parts have me giggling.
    I also recommend The Help. I loved it--my favorite book I've read this year. I checked the Amazon ratings before I read it and was impressed--almost universally highly rated. Now I know why.

+ Reply to Thread