+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

CCL

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3543236;
    I finally finished Drood about a week or so ago and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. As the story continued, there were two ways you could interpret it: either it was ALL a big hallucination OR it actually happened. Not sure which way I'm leaning. Still, it was enjoyable. I immediately went out and bought Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, which is the book he's writing when Drood takes place. I also want to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood, the last book Dickens wrote.
    I couldn't get through Drood at all - I think I read about 1/4 of it and then gave up.

Right now I'm reading Possession.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;3543611;
    I don't get that. Was your method of teaching phonics clashing with theirs, or are they opposed to phonics altogether? If they're jettisoning phonics instruction, that seems like a tremendous step backwards to me. I believe in phonics as an intregal core element in leaning to read and nothing I can imagine will ever change that view.
    Here in Northern Virginia they quit teaching phonics ages ago. They use this memorization technique and teach kids to pronouce entire words instead of sounding them out. It is impressive because very young kids can say very big words very early, and it makes the Northern Virginia schools seem very advanced but I do think it hurts the kids later on because they never learn how to sound a word out byselves and their spelling is creative at best.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And heavens forbid you ask them to go look it up inn the dictionary. That's just not happening!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3545468;
    I couldn't get through Drood at all - I think I read about 1/4 of it and then gave up.

Right now I'm reading Possession.
    You know, I had to put it down for a while and then go back to it. I felt like, after having read 300 pages, I HAD to finish. It picked up after the 450 page mark (!) and I ended up really getting into it. It did take that little "vacation" though for me to get through it.

Posession was a tough one - it took me a LONG time, but I was glad I finished it. I think it was all the poetry that I found tough. As much as I like some poets, I'm just not a big poetry reader. A.S. Byatt is definitely not a beach read for me: her books require active reading. They're worthwhile, but you have to work for it!

I'm not too far into The Moonstone, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

^ I have to admit that I've skimmed over most of the poetry thus far. I do like poetry but reading it somehow seems out of place in today's hustle and bustle world - I guess I like the appropriate mental focus.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I've just finished Three Bags Full; a detective story about a flock of sheep in Ireland who are attempting to solve their shepherd's murder. They're clever sheep because their shepherd used to read to them, but he read a lot of random stuff, including trashy romance novels, religious pamphlets, etc. so they get some of their facts screwed up. I don't really like mysteries, and I don't know if the end is exactly satisfying, but I enjoyed trying to make sense of the "facts" that the sheep knew along with the ones the narrator presented. Plus the sheep themselves are really entertaining.

I also recently finished The Wishbones and am pretty bummed that there are no other Tom Perrotta novels for me to read.

The Airhead series by Meg Cabot.

Barbar Metzger's True Love series: Truly Yours, The Scandalous Life of a True Lady, The Wicked Ways
    of a True Hero.

Alyssa Day's Atlantis Awakening series, the two latest are: Atlantis Unleashed and Atlantis Unmasked.

Emma Holly's lastest; Kissing Midnight and Breaking Midnight.

Magic's Design by Cat Adams.

I sometimes start 3 or 4 books at once and go from book to book.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

ADD much???

My son can do that, too, but I can't.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3549285;
    I sometimes start 3 or 4 books at once and go from book to book.
    OMGosh, I do not know how you can do that. The ONLY time I even have two books going is if I need a break from one, and then I usually read the second from start to finish before going back to the first. I don't think I ever alternate between books!! I think I would start crossing storylines...

I picked up the latest John Grisham - The Associate - at the library last night. Has anyone read it yet?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread