+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3524821;
    yes, I love her... she saved me. I saw her on Oprah and she gave me the strenght to get out of an abusive marriage. It was as if I was suppose to watch her that day and she was speaking to me.
    I love it when that happens. I've always taken things like that as "a message", and followed where it was pointing for me to go. I truly believe in paying attention to/following "the signs". When I haven't heeded the signs, I've always gone wrong, and I could recount many signs that have made a believer out of me. It's called live and learn.

Things happen for a reason.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes grave site lol sorry..my only "computer" is my blackberry and sometimes it causes frequent typos lol
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3524914;
    Do you mean the Harper Connelly books by Charlaine Harris? Grave Sight, Grave Surprise, An Ice Cold Grave and Grave Secret. I have read or listened to the first 3 books and loved them. They are about a girl who was struck by lighting and can now sense where dead people are buried and how they died. She and her stepbrother travel the country finding missing people. What I really liked about the series is that Charlaine Harris did research the side effects of what happens to people who are struck by lighting (real disabilitating side effects) and incorporates it into the story.
    My favorite in that series is Ice Cold Grave, and I look forward to the release of the final book Grave Secret! Even though I initially thought the premise implausible; I found her description and understanding was believable. Then someone on her site forum sent her a link (hope I remember this correctly) about somewhere in Australia maybe, where a culture has strong beliefs and respect for individuals who can and do possess Harper's abilities.

Yes, Critical Thanks! I did enjoy the compelling read, format, of "13 Reason Why" and found it stirred my emotions! Could not stop thinking of the characters for past few days, to me that is a good book!

Ahh Stephanie Plum, while I am a huge Ranger fan myself, and find the guy very attractive personally - I would be disappointed if she did not end up with anyone other then Morelli when the series is finally done (if it ever is). To me, they are meant to be, and it is just a matter of maturity and time. Ranger is best being the hot single guy friend I can drool over. Diesel is the hot/rascal almost irresistible type, if he stuck around for more then a minute. Love those Plum books and I am, I think, #14 on the waiting list for the latest Finger Lickin 15.

ETA: Almost forgot I am about 1/3rd of the way in to "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" by Laurie Viera Rigler. I find it interesting, confusing but hope things are easier to understand the more I get into it. Am tempted to read the ending but afraid it will only confuse me more.
    Last edited by Mike'sgirl; 06-25-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3525386;

Ahh Stephanie Plum, while I am a huge Ranger fan myself, and find the guy very attractive personally - I would be disappointed if she did not end up with anyone other then Morelli when the series is finally done (if it ever is). To me, they are meant to be, and it is just a matter of maturity and time. Ranger is best being the hot single guy friend I can drool over. Diesel is the hot/rascal almost irresistible type, if he stuck around for more then a minute. Love those Plum books and I am, I think, #14 on the waiting list for the latest Finger Lickin 15.
    Yes, she definitely belongs with Morelli, but nothing wrong with giving Ranger a whirl when she and Morelli aren't together.

Back to the book itself, I was completely underwhelmed with this one. Hopefully,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    she'll be on an actual case with the next one.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Regular

"Escape" by Carolyn Jessop, about the FLDS under Warren Jeffs and how she left with her 8 children. Hard to believe at times and the pervasive child abuse--even at school--is sickening to read about.

I just finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I really enjoyed it! I listened to it on audio, and it really helped with the boredom of packing/unpacking these last few days.

I'm also reading The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. I've just started, but it seems like a good old fashioned suspense tale so far.

finally ended reading Twilight and started New Moon. I did read almost whole Darkly Dreaming Dexter before finishing Twilight, but I probably should read it first before I seriously start reading New Moon.

I am not that good of a reader. haha.
    I'm a mess and you're worse
    Just give me time to give you a waste of time

Nicholas Sparks, Dear John. Good book, quick read. Enjoy his books.

I finally finished Drood about a week or so ago and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. As the story continued, there were two ways you could interpret it: either it was ALL a big hallucination OR it actually happened. Not sure which way I'm leaning. Still, it was enjoyable. I immediately went out and bought Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, which is the book he's writing when Drood takes place. I also want to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood, the last book Dickens wrote.

Right now, I'm finishing up The Blackest Bird by Joel Rose. It's set in 1840's Manhattan and centers around several murders, including one of a young girl who may or may not have been involved with Edgar Allan Poe. The book is sort of like Gangs of New York, only told from the perspective of the police. Really interesting stuff. I'm a sucker for NYC history and this one is really good.

Next up might be either The Moonstone or a re-read of Harry Potter 6 so I can gear up for the movie!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3513926;
    I ignored the teachers. she gets an a+ in reading on her report cards and she is one of the best spellers in the class so I'll pay as much attention to them as I did when they insisted that I stop teaching her phonics at home.
    I don't get that. Was your method of teaching phonics clashing with theirs, or are they opposed to phonics altogether? If they're jettisoning phonics instruction, that seems like a tremendous step backwards to me. I believe in phonics as an intregal core element in leaning to read and nothing I can imagine will ever change that view.

+ Reply to Thread