+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3519827;
    After much time, I am finally reading Jay Ashers book "13 Reasons Why" which centers around 13 audio tapes received by a young 17 yr old male, that go on to explain and tell the stories/reasons why a classmate has decided to commit suicide. The tapes are mailed to 13 individuals in successions after the current recipient listens to them and then passes them on to the next person on the tape. I found the focus on multiple students, their influence, and message about how they treat one another to be very compelling reading. I can't remember who it was way back that recommended this book - but Thank You so much!
    I think it was me. I'm glad you're enjoying it, although "enjoy" might not be the right word for that book. I found it very compelling as well. I met the author at an event last fall and decided to have him sign a copy of the book because I liked him so much. The book definitely didn't disappoint.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3516099;
    She's into it and she really likes it. No problem!

Also, I read Bitter in the New Black earlier this spring, FYI. My book group wasn't crazy about it but it's good for some laughs and is a nice change a pace. The author is so self-absorbed however that it gets annoying.
    I think that it's the poking fun at the self-absorption that makes it so funny. It's satire and sarcasm together. I have found all 3 of her books hysterically funny and her wit to be sharp and biting. I love good snark.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I got the new Evanovich yesterday and finished it late last night. It wasn't one of my favorites in the series but still classic Stephanie Plum. There were a few laugh out loud parts that had me in stitches. I just love both Lula and Grandma Mazur!

One thing I cannot believe....don't read unless you want to be spoiled....
    Click to see Spoiler:
    She slept in Ranger's bed and didn't touch the man? Come on now!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I love the Stephanie Plum novels but I've been reading them for the last few months and am thinking that I need a break for a bit.

Anyone know of a shorter series that is funny and sassy?
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3521750;
    I got the new Evanovich yesterday and finished it late last night. It wasn't one of my favorites in the series but still classic Stephanie Plum. There were a few laugh out loud parts that had me in stitches. I just love both Lula and Grandma Mazur!

Click to see Spoiler:
    Haven't read it yet but personally I'm glad to hear the spoiled bit
    Click to see Spoiler:
    as I'm a Morelli girl through and through. Ranger seems like a nice enough person (not sure if nice is the right word for Ranger. ) but I've never really gotten his romantic appeal.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3521750;

Click to see Spoiler:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Actually, I believe she has done that in at least 1 other book, so no surprise.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Click to see Spoiler:
    Yes, she did it once before but in this book, she mentions that one night they had sex and how fantastic it was. She lets him nibble on her neck and even kiss her but she won't sleep with him. Her character doesn't usually have that much self control. That being said, she would have probably given in a couple times had they not been interrupted.

Oh, CCL
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I like Morelli too. Ranger just has that bad boy appeal.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3516118;
    I love reading/learning about what successful people have gone through to get where they are.
    Have you ever read the series of autobiographies that Maya Angelou wrote about her life? They are wonderful, she has a fascinating story to tell!! As I read them I could not help but think that my life is completely banal in comparison!

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
    Gather Together In My Name
    Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas
    The Heart of a Woman
    Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3522825;
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Yes, she did it once before but in this book, she mentions that one night they had sex and how fantastic it was. She lets him nibble on her neck and even kiss her but she won't sleep with him. Her character doesn't usually have that much self control. That being said, she would have probably given in a couple times had they not been interrupted.

Oh, CCL
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I like Morelli too. Ranger just has that bad boy appeal.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Yes, I remember her sleeping with him before. Perhaps, as she's getting older, she has more self control? I like Morelli and he / Steph have been on again / off again since high school, so I understand the attraction and Joe's pretty good looking, too. But, I agree that Ranger has that increasingly sexy bad boy image. So many men, so little time, huh?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Stephanie sure is catnip for those bad boys. The all want her. I figure it's because of her curly hair.

+ Reply to Thread