+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm on book 3 of the Night World series. It's starting to get repetitive so I'm skimming a lot. I do want to be able to discuss it with my Little Sister, though. I had her yesterday and we had great fun discussing the first book, which we had both read. She was thrilled to get the second book. Still would like to know if anyone here has the Kindle or is tempted to get one.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3513926;
    I ignored the teachers. she gets an a+ in reading on her report cards and she is one of the best spellers in the class so I'll pay as much attention to them as I did when they insisted that I stop teaching her phonics at home.

I just finished scouring this thread for a recommendation - I was at the bookstore last night trying to describe the series of books. "female author, a little older, very caustic, really long subtitles' I don't think the girl behind the counter reads...
    So I finally found her! Jen Lancaster "Bitter is the New Black" they sound like excellent summer reads. I can't wait to get into them!
    Right now I'm reading "A Brief Guide to The Greek Myths" by Stephen P. Kershaw- we only covered a few in school and I found myself interested, and "The Secret Shopper's Revenge" by Kate Harrison brit-chick-lit, So far I like it.

I'm reading Bitter is the new Black right now and laughing my butt off. I just started it yesterday. I read another one of hers about dieting a couple months ago and it was hysterical. I can't think of the name off hand.

Duxxy, good for you teaching phonics to your daughter. Sadly the lack of phonics is producing a generation of bad spellers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If you ask me, we've always had bad spellers.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

With spell check and the ever changing slang people don't consider spelling (or proper grammar) important, unfortunately.

There is a book out there that is about how our grandchildren and great grandchildren are going to consider writing with pens and paper old fashioned (it even goes on to tell how most will not even know how to write, sort of how calligraphy is considered more of an art than a thing everyone must learn these days). I heard about it on CNN a while back but I can't remember the name of the book or the author. It sounds really interesting too. Anyone happen to know the book and/or has read it?
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3511603;
    I hope your daughter gives it a chance. My aunt also raved about it, but when I initially read the synopsis on the back I was not intrigued. However it only took a page or two for me to realize this was not going to be "The Diary of Anne Frank" redux! Even if she doesn't pick it up, you should consider checking it out!

ITA about buying books for other people. At Christmas both my mom and my aunt sent books, but they did ask for general genres to start with. The other thing that made it a bit easier is that we have four kids and they sent such a variety that even if a book didn't work for one kid, it could work for one of the others!!

She's into it and she really likes it. No problem!

Also, I read Bitter in the New Black earlier this spring, FYI. My book group wasn't crazy about it but it's good for some laughs and is a nice change a pace. The author is so self-absorbed however that it gets annoying.

I am on my library's reservation list for "Stormy Weather". It's the biography of Lena Horne. It is, currently, on order. They ordered 4 of the books, and I am reservation #4!!! I think I saw where Oprah has this as one of her selections for her book club this summer. I love reading/learning about what successful people have gone through to get where they are.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

After much time, I am finally reading Jay Ashers book "13 Reasons Why" which centers around 13 audio tapes received by a young 17 yr old male, that go on to explain and tell the stories/reasons why a classmate has decided to commit suicide. The tapes are mailed to 13 individuals in successions after the current recipient listens to them and then passes them on to the next person on the tape. I found the focus on multiple students, their influence, and message about how they treat one another to be very compelling reading. I can't remember who it was way back that recommended this book - but Thank You so much!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Wonderful book, beautifully written about the interaction and relationship between women from the south in the 60's. Thank you for recommending it . It was a travel back in time for me, to my hometown of Jackson, Mississippi.
    I am now reading The Geometry of Sisters by Luanne Rice.

Glad you liked The Help, especially since you grew up there in Jackson! I certainly found reading that book a fantastic way to pass the time.

I've reserved the Help at my library based on the recommendations here, so I can't wait to read it.

Has anybody here read Child 44? A friend at the gym last night said he just picked it up after a recommendation. I looked it up on Googe and it looks quite fascinating.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread