+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 709 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143543 ... LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I finally got around to "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. Riveting -- I was sucked in and couldn't put it down. But also I was in tears before page 50.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

hey Lucy
    My daughter just got that book from my Mom and hasn't started it yet...for some reason she didn't inherit the reading bug from my side of the family...Let me know if it is any good please and I can try and encourage her to start reading it. Thanks Barb

Oh, it was great, I highly recommend it. It was just very sad at first. But I really liked it. If your daughter won't read it, borrow it from her and read it yourself.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Just started "Twilight Eyes" by Dean Koontz.

The Lovely Bones is an excellent book. Quite sad but really good.

I just started Saving Faith by David Baldacci.

I just finished reading "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Fantastic book! I loved the whole thing. Here's a description about the book, but it's so much more than just that:

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

So begins Jeffrey Eugenides' second novel, Middlesex, the story of Calliope Stephanides, who discovers at the age of fourteen that she is really a he. Cal traces the story of his transformation and the genetic condition that caused it back to his paternal grandparents, who happen also to be brother and sister, and the Greek village of Bithynios in Asia Minor.

In 1922, Desdemona Stephanides and her brother, Lefty, whose parents were killed in the recent war with the Turks, are living alone in their nearly abandoned village. Pulled together by isolation, sympathy, and, perhaps, fate, Lefty and Desdemona become husband and wife, and a recessive genetic condition begins its journey toward eventual expression in their grandchild Calliope.

Middlesex is a story about what it means to occupy the complex and unnamed middle ground between male and female, Greek and American, past and present. For Cal, caught between these identities, the journey to adulthood is particularly fraught. Jeffrey Eugenides' epic portrayal of Cal's struggle is classical in its structure and scope and contemporary in its content; a tender and honest examination of a battle that is increasingly relevant to us all.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey
    I am re-reading "Watership Down". Its long but well worth it.

I just finished "The Tattooed Girl" by Joyce Carol Oates. I was disappointed by We Were The Mulvaneys, and this one was a pleasant surprise Very original, but the ending was dissatisfying.

I also finished Coraline - Snowflake Girl, did you read that yet? I loved it, in fact I couldn't put it down (it is a quick read, mind you). It's a great book for anyone pre-teen and up.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    I just finished "The Tattooed Girl".
    Now there is some irony AJ considering your recent time spent beneath the ink gun.
    Last edited by Daddio; 05-13-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    I just finished reading "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Fantastic book! I loved the whole thing. Here's a description about the book, but it's so much more than just that:

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

So begins Jeffrey Eugenides' second novel, Middlesex, the story of Calliope Stephanides, who discovers at the age of fourteen that she is really a he. Cal traces the story of his transformation and the genetic condition that caused it back to his paternal grandparents, who happen also to be brother and sister, and the Greek village of Bithynios in Asia Minor.

In 1922, Desdemona Stephanides and her brother, Lefty, whose parents were killed in the recent war with the Turks, are living alone in their nearly abandoned village. Pulled together by isolation, sympathy, and, perhaps, fate, Lefty and Desdemona become husband and wife, and a recessive genetic condition begins its journey toward eventual expression in their grandchild Calliope.

Middlesex is a story about what it means to occupy the complex and unnamed middle ground between male and female, Greek and American, past and present. For Cal, caught between these identities, the journey to adulthood is particularly fraught. Jeffrey Eugenides' epic portrayal of Cal's struggle is classical in its structure and scope and contemporary in its content; a tender and honest examination of a battle that is increasingly relevant to us all.
    Greenie, thanks for the book recommendation! I might have to get the husband to buy it for me so I can read it during my Texas vacation
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread