+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

It sounds good, do you remember who the author is? I may just look them up and give them a try! I need a new series to start since I'm finishing up the one I am currently on- The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. I need something a little more light hearted next I think.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3444292;
    It sounds good, do you remember who the author is? I may just look them up and give them a try! I need a new series to start since I'm finishing up the one I am currently on- The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. I need something a little more light hearted next I think.
    Sarah Strohmeyer writes the Bubbles Books.
    Have you ever read Ann B. Ross ? She writes the Miss Julia books. They are a cute light read.
    On the drive to my moms this weekend, I listened to " The Nannie Diaries" by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus.
    I just started reading Iris Johansen's "Deadlock". so far so good.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 05-11-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3444167;
    has anyone read the bubbles series? the first book in the series is "bubbles unbound" and then "bubbles in trouble" I would definitely reccomend it if you liked the stephanie plumb books..bubbles is like, the anti stephanie lol she is a hairdresser turned reporter who wears skin tight clothes and has beach blond hair and ends up chasing stories and getting herself in hilarious circumstances.
    I've read the first 2 Bubbles books and they were quite fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I am reading Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer - about the moon getting hit by a meteor and wreaking havoc on the world. Told from the point of view of a high school girl. Has anyone read it?

I just started The Artist's Wife by Max Phillips and have high hopes. It's a fictional look at Alma Mahler who, in addition to being Gustav Mahler's wife, had affairs with Walter Gropius, Oskar Kokoschka (one of my favorite artists) and Franz Werfel. She definitely got around! Most of the "action" takes place in Belle Epoque Vienna and, really, what could be bad about that?

Tonight I finished The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker. Here's the write up from Publisher's Weekly:
    Baker's bangup debut mixes the exuberant eccentricities of John Irving's Garp, Anne Tyler's relationship savvy and the plangent voice of Margaret Atwood. In an upstate New York backwater, Truly, massive from birth, has a bleak existence with her depressed father and her china-doll–like sister, Serena Jane. Truly grows at an astonishing rate—her girth the result of a pituitary gland problem—and after her father dies when Truly is 12, Truly is sloughed off to the Dyersons, a hapless farming family. Her outsize kindness surfaces as she befriends the Dyersons' outcast daughter, Amelia, and later leaves her beloved Dyerson farm to take care of Serena Jane's husband and son after Serena Jane leaves them. Haunting the margins of Truly's story is that of Tabitha Dyerson, a rumored witch whose secrets afford a breathtaking role reversal for Truly. It's got all the earmarks of a hit—infectious and lovable narrator, a dash of magic, an impressive sweep and a heartrending but not treacly family drama. It'll be a shame if this doesn't race up the bestseller lists.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3445273;
    I am reading Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer - about the moon getting hit by a meteor and wreaking havoc on the world. Told from the point of view of a high school girl. Has anyone read it?
    OMG!! I got this from the middle school Scholastic book order forms and it is gasoline if you have any swine flu/end of world type fears. I had another teacher read it who already has a full basement of food and water and "a plan" for those type of scenarios. She freaked. One of those books you never quite forget. I think of something in it about once a week and I read it over a year ago.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3445380;
    OMG!! I got this from the middle school Scholastic book order forms and it is gasoline if you have any swine flu/end of world type fears. I had another teacher read it who already has a full basement of food and water and "a plan" for those type of scenarios. She freaked. One of those books you never quite forget. I think of something in it about once a week and I read it over a year ago.
    Life as We Knew It - as I continue to read this a budget crises is surrounding my school district. My job in a school library is being thrown under the school bus by the Administration. As I see how the characters in this story have to hide food for themselves, not share outside their small group (family), I am seeing similar behaviors by those in the District who seem to be hoarding jobs for those they work directly with. My job working with students seems like an easier thing to cut rather than anyone they see every day.

Indeed it is a powerful book. I will finish it tonight possibly...

I was reminded of it a lot during the big New England ice storm this winter. Many people were without power for 2 weeks. When the gas stations and grocery store opened after a couple of days, people were going crazy!
    Count your blessings!

I'm in the middle of Woman On The Edge Of Time. Wow, this is a real departure in style for Piercy, very Oryx and Crake-like. Interesting and that future lingo is catchy, I keep wanting to use the word "fasure".
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm glad you found it! I had two pages to finish it before work and I read it so fast I didn't understand what happened, so either I'll go back and read it again and see if I can make sense of it, or I'll finish it the way I want in my head. Very different from most of her books, fasure. Loved Oryx and Crake. I noticed I still had it on my bookshelf even though I read it years ago. Maybe I'll re-read it.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread