+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 714 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292142542 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I read Number the Stars! I think I read it in 4th grade or so (I'm graduating college next week if that tells you how long ago that was!).

I don't really remember it, although it is about the Holocaust, right?

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I just started "The Face" by Dean Koontz. I've never read any of his books before, as I thought he wrote science fiction. So far, it's okay.

I just got, "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. I hope I can start on it tomorrow.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    I don't really remember it, although it is about the Holocaust, right?
    You're right. It is.

I just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany yesterday and wow, what a great book. My favorite Irving book in the past has always been The World According to Garp, but Owen Meany has overtaken it.

I think I will give The Shipping News ONE last chance. I don't want to hurt it's feelers by not finishing it. Otherwise, I'll start The Red Tent or I might read Ahab's Wife again.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    GG -- I raelly enjoyed The Red Tent.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I just finished Seven Daughters of Eve by Byan Sykes. Really interesting.

The geneticist who unraveled the famous "Ice Man" found in the Alps as well as "Cheddar Man" found deep in a cave in England , is set on course by these two finds to unlock our history as a species. It sounds really dry , but he tells it in an entertaining way, more like a mystery story.
    Every human on earth currently , can be traced back to one of seven original mothers via mitochondrial DNA.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    This DNA passes unchanged from mother to children except for subtle mutations at predictable intervals.
    Sykes also solves the mystery of the south Pacific along the way
    Click to see Spoiler:
    and crushes the famous Thor Heyerdahl "Kon Tikki" theory

I seem to (as usual) have a handful of books going.

Cold Heart by Jonathan Kellerman (gets carried around in my purse for lines and waiting and such)
    The Purpose Driven Life (I'm on day 13 and there are 40 days of this book so it's going to be a while)
    Glorias Appearing (almost done with this)
    Write Away by Elizabeth George - a book on writing (and I write and I love Elizabeth George's mystery series sooooooooo this is on the pile)

Just 1 book: The 5 people you meet in heaven. My sister said that its a really good book.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Hahahahaha...one of my jokester friends sent me a grammar book called Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. I haven't started it yet, but it looks interesting! The synopsis below helped me understand the title of the book, so it looks like there is some humor involved...weeeeee!

Synopsis:
    A panda walked into a cafe. He ordered a sandwich, ate it, then pulled out a gun and shot the waiter. 'Why?' groaned the injured man. The panda shrugged, tossed him a poorly-punctuated wildlife manual and walked out. And sure enough, when the waiter consulted the book, he found an explanation. 'Panda,' ran the entry for his assailant. 'Large black and white mammal native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

+ Reply to Thread