+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates. I'm halfway through and itching to see the movie. Beautifully written narrative, but the dialogue is so insignificant that I'm having a hard time seeing how they squeezed a film out of it. All in all, an excellent read and the protagonist, Frank Wheeler, is a fascinating character (but a terrible cad). I'd definitely recommend this one.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3431980;
    Sound like an intriguing concept. Was it any good, or are you just blindly leading me to read it?
    No, it was actually very good. I moderate a book club and it was one of my picks. I was very happy to find that every member of the book club liked it. That doesn't always happen. Sometimes, I'll be part of the way through a book I selected and I'll think "Oh my God, they're going to kill me."

It definitely helped to have my textbook from Baroque Art History handy while I was reading it so I could look up various paintings.

I'm still loving Sex Wars. I spent the better part of the afternoon reading it. I'm also reading Museum: Behind the Scenes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Danny Danziger. It's a collection of interviews with dozens of employees at the Met: from plumbers to security staff to curators to trustees. It's very interesting and it's really making me wish I could hop on a plane to NYC and spend a week wandering the Met. I only got two days in the museum when I was there a few years ago and that definitely wasn't enough time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3432489;
    No, it was actually very good. I moderate a book club and it was one of my picks. I was very happy to find that every member of the book club liked it. That doesn't always happen. Sometimes, I'll be part of the way through a book I selected and I'll think "Oh my God, they're going to kill me."

It definitely helped to have my textbook from Baroque Art History handy while I was reading it so I could look up various paintings.

I'm still loving Sex Wars. I spent the better part of the afternoon reading it. I'm also reading Museum: Behind the Scenes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Danny Danziger. It's a collection of interviews with dozens of employees at the Met: from plumbers to security staff to curators to trustees. It's very interesting and it's really making me wish I could hop on a plane to NYC and spend a week wandering the Met. I only got two days in the museum when I was there a few years ago and that definitely wasn't enough time!

Thanks for the book recommendation.
    The Met is one of my all time favorite museums and we usually stop in whenever we go back to NYC.
    In the event you're into mysteries, Linda Fairstein has set at least 1 of her books at the Met and gives you some really good background history about the museum in it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3431825;
    I read Anna Karenina voluntarily, but I was in 8th grade and should probably try it again. I never have read War and Peace, but I saw a play of it -- four hours, plus an intermission, and it was a great play.
    My mother was reading this while she was pregnant with me, which is why she named me Karen. I read War and Peace while I was nursing my first child. She was fussy and wanted to be held constantly, so I read it cover to cover pretty quickly.
    Count your blessings!

Ilona Andrews: Magic Strikes. PC Cast and Kristin Cast: House of Night series: Marked and Chosen. Christine Feehan's Burning Wild.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3433891;
    PC Cast and Kristin Cast: House of Night series: Marked and Chosen.
    I loved Marked and I just finished Betrayed but I'm not so sure that I want to continue with the series. It just got a little weird there at the end.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I know I seem to be coming late to the ball with this one, but:

Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
    I stopped reading it last fall when it was announced that the movie was postponed, but since the movie's out next month, I figured I'd better get it back out & finish it.
    I'd forgotten how engrossing the Potter books are. I couldn't pick the story back up where I left off, so I just started over from the beginning.
    I got about half way through this weekend. I figure I'll finish by this weekend. (I don't read much during the week with work & all.)
    Ready for the next installment. I'm dreading finishing the series. I'm going to miss the characters.

I'm reading Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time, as I mentioned upthread. The beginning is a little hard to get through because it is thoroughly depressing, but now I'm finding that it had to start that way to set the stage for the main gist of the book. If you're looking for something to read, pick it up so we can discuss!! Love this author!
    Count your blessings!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3433891;
    Ilona Andrews: Magic Strikes. PC Cast and Kristin Cast: House of Night series: Marked and Chosen. Christine Feehan's Burning Wild.
    I've read the Ghostwalker Series and started the Drake Sisters, but not the Leopard series. What do you think?

I just finished Taken by Barbara Freethy and I'm reading the companion now, Played. Very fast paced, witty dialogue, twists and turns romantic suspense. I'm really enjoying them.

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3435487;
    I've read the Ghostwalker Series and started the Drake Sisters, but not the Leopard series. What do you think?

I just finished Taken by Barbara Freethy and I'm reading the companion now, Played. Very fast paced, witty dialogue, twists and turns romantic suspense. I'm really enjoying them.
    I am really enjoying Burning Wild. I'm about 137 pages in and Christine Feehan has this ability to get into the characters head and you can almost feel what they are feeling. So yeah the book is pretty good.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread