+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I did see The Fountainhead. Can you image what a great movie it would be today. I would hope that they wouldn't edit it down, it is such a detailed story.

I'm reading Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time - a little different than her others so far. I will get back to Sex Wars after this one, I promise!
    Count your blessings!

I just started reading Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris, and am certainly enjoying it! I was surprised when the library called to say it was in, I think the release date is 05/05, but since I have adopted the author I get first debs on reading, and they whizzed it through processing faster then normal.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3430255;
    Wow, I can't imagine a job where I got paid to read all day!!

I am currently reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I am enjoying it, but I was expecting to LOVE it based on my aunt's recommendation. I have a lot of book left, so I still might get to that point!

I am thinking about tabling it temporarily so I can read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink before the movie gets to the top of my Netflix queue...
    I don't exactly get paid to read all day! But I do get to share a lifetime of reading great children's books with now more than one generation of students. It is the most powerful thing to have a student return a book to me and say, "I want another one like that!" or to see that student bring another kid into the library to find good books because of something I handed him or her. All of my reading of books is done on my own time, all 12 months of the year. I can do my job because I love to read and I enjoy the interaction with the students. They need guidance in this electronic, multimedia driven age.

A little off topic - it is disheartening to see libraries getting cuts in funding when the school budgets are under scrutiny in tough times. And the public libraries getting hit with huge reductions when budgets get tighter. Many of my library users do not have a voice in the decision making process. But I can see that they need what we deliver. Am I preaching to the choir here?

I am off for the night to finally finish Burn Out by Marcia Muller...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3431050;
    I loved War and Peace too! People look at me like I'm nuts when I talk about how I love that book and that I read it voluntarily!
    I read Anna Karenina voluntarily, but I was in 8th grade and should probably try it again. I never have read War and Peace, but I saw a play of it -- four hours, plus an intermission, and it was a great play.

I know Forters seemed to be split re: The Historian, but I enjoyed it. I think I probably read about half of it standing in line to sell my textbooks back a few years ago! It definitely took my mind off the fact that I was standing in a line for over an hour.
    I did love the Historian. The author is finally doing another book this year, or in the spring, but I have trouble imagining how it will compare.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3431684;
    I don't exactly get paid to read all day! But I do get to share a lifetime of reading great children's books with now more than one generation of students. It is the most powerful thing to have a student return a book to me and say, "I want another one like that!" or to see that student bring another kid into the library to find good books because of something I handed him or her. All of my reading of books is done on my own time, all 12 months of the year. I can do my job because I love to read and I enjoy the interaction with the students. They need guidance in this electronic, multimedia driven age.

A little off topic - it is disheartening to see libraries getting cuts in funding when the school budgets are under scrutiny in tough times. And the public libraries getting hit with huge reductions when budgets get tighter. Many of my library users do not have a voice in the decision making process. But I can see that they need what we deliver. Am I preaching to the choir here?

I am off for the night to finally finish Burn Out by Marcia Muller...
    I am on the board at my library. We are amazed at how many are coming into the libraries thes days for books, DVD's, etc. I am on the library board for the exact reasons you state above. You are not preaching to the choir. We cherish our libraries and our librarians!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I finished The Middle Place this morning, and I loved, loved, loved it. It's a memior of a woman going through treatment for breast cancer at the same time her dad is being treated for bladder cancer. But it is much more a story of what it's like to be part of a loving family - cancer takes a back seat to that story. The book is filled with so many true-isms - the way that in our 30s we cling to our parents still even though we know age says we're grown up, the way your love for your spouse changes when you see him raising your children, etc. There were so many times I read a line and thought "yes, that captures it pretty darn right". It was definitley one of those books that I was determined to finish by the last 50 pages, and yet as I read the last page, was sorry to tell the family goodbye.

Next up I THINK is One True Theory of Love. I MIGHT do Three Cups of Tea instead. It may depend on my mood in the moment i pick one of them up.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3421082;
    I'm in the middle of 'The Birthday Present' by Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell's nom de plume for her psychological thrillers), then on to 'Sanctuary' by Ken Bruen. I love the Stephenie Plum books -- we're both Jersey girls, after all.
    Oooh, I have the new Barbara Vine waiting eagerly for me in my bookshelf! Thanks for reminding me. Just before the babies were born, I went on a RIDICULOUS shopping spree so that I won't have to worry about buying books for a while. Needless to say, I've been ordering books online several times in the past couple weeks anyway... I swear, my bookshelves are more like a bookstore than a home library at the moment. Not that I'm complaining...

As for what I'm reading right now, I'm alternating between Joyce Carol Oates' brand new short story collection Dear Husband and a German crime novel set in the 1950's by Andrea Marie Schenkel, The Murder Farm. Both pretty disturbing reads, so I'm thinking about adding a Jane Green novel, Second Chance, to the mix.

Also, I just finished One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I thought it was great: witty, sharp, and incredibly entertaining. Her best effort yet, methinks.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3423346;
    As Above, So Below Rudy Rucker novel about Peter Bruegel
    Sound like an intriguing concept. Was it any good, or are you just blindly leading me to read it?
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3431825;
    I read Anna Karenina voluntarily, but I was in 8th grade and should probably try it again. I never have read War and Peace, but I saw a play of it -- four hours, plus an intermission, and it was a great play.

I did love the Historian. The author is finally doing another book this year, or in the spring, but I have trouble imagining how it will compare.
    I also loved The Historian, although I kind of thought that the end was a cop out. But I'm looking forward to Elizabeth Kostova's new book.

I'm also looking forward to the next Dan Brown novel (and 3rd in the Landon trilogy) out this fall.

+ Reply to Thread