+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I am currently reading 'Look Again' by Lisa Scottoline. Fantastic book! I do have The 8th Confession waiting for me at the library now and James Patterson is always a quick (and interesting) read.

Im reading The Historian, my friend loaned it to me and wanted me to read it...its taking me FOREVER
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3430502;
    Im reading The Historian, my friend loaned it to me and wanted me to read it...its taking me FOREVER
    For some reason when someone TELLS me to read a book and I feel like I HAVE to read it, it is always harder to get thru. I felt that way in high school too. I was required to read Anna Karenina and The Grapes of Wrath and just slogged my way thru them (I may have even squeaked by on cliff notes for TGoW). However, I chose to read War and Peace and East of Eden (by exactly the same authors) and I loved them!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3430924;
    For some reason when someone TELLS me to read a book and I feel like I HAVE to read it, it is always harder to get thru. I felt that way in high school too. I was required to read Anna Karenina and The Grapes of Wrath and just slogged my way thru them (I may have even squeaked by on cliff notes for TGoW). However, I chose to read War and Peace and East of Eden (by exactly the same authors) and I loved them!
    I was the same way about books I was assigned to read in high school. I think one of the only books I really loved that I HAD to read back then was The Catcher in the Rye. I went back years later and re-read all of the books I was assigned in various h.s. English classes and found that they were all pretty good!

I loved War and Peace too! People look at me like I'm nuts when I talk about how I love that book and that I read it voluntarily!

I know Forters seemed to be split re: The Historian, but I enjoyed it. I think I probably read about half of it standing in line to sell my textbooks back a few years ago! It definitely took my mind off the fact that I was standing in a line for over an hour.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are so many great classics out there, I've always wondered hoiw teachers pick the ones that we read in HS. I HATED Lord of the Flies. I understand the background meaning of the story and appericiate the lesson from it, but couldn't they have given us something else similar? Why little boys with a pig's head? I loved Night by Elie Weisel (spl?). It was one of the most powerful books I have ever read.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3430924;
    oh thats possible...Im also not big on that type of book though either, its about dracula and stuff like that...but im almost done..she is big into fantasy and vampire type books.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3431099;
    I loved Night by Elie Weisel (spl?). It was one of the most powerful books I have ever read.
    ITA! That is a book that would definitely have an impact on students. However, I cannot imagine that they ever would have assigned that one when I was in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3431050;
    I loved War and Peace too! People look at me like I'm nuts when I talk about how I love that book and that I read it voluntarily!
    I will admit that one of the reasons I read it was just so I could tell people I read it!!
    It was a huge bonus that I ended up enjoying it so much!

I found my really old copies of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand today. I'm going to read them again I really enjoyed both of those books.

I've never read The Fountainhead but I LOVED Atlas Shrugged! I think the Book of the Month Club did a survey of its readers many years ago and AS was #2 in a list of the books that most influenced people. The Bible was #1.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3431245;
    I found my really old copies of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand today. I'm going to read them again I really enjoyed both of those books.
    Oh, I loved both those books. My copies are in tatters as well. I even considered naming one of my daughters Dominique (I really liked Dagny, too).

Did you see the movie they made from The Fountainhead? It's an oldie from the '40's. I wasn't that crazy about it, but I thought there were plans to re-make it, or maybe it was Atlas Shrugged that was going to be made into a film.
    Last edited by AJane; 05-01-2009 at 02:13 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread