+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Gut and Crit, do finish Sex Wars. I found it actually inspiring, and Piercy really did her research thoroughly on the suffrage movement of the 19th century. I followed that book up with a biography of Victoria Woodhull - who's featured prominently in Piercy's book - Other Powers, by Barbara Goldsmith. Goldsmith's book details all of the important figures of the suffrage battle, and includes actual correspondence and diary entries of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. I have never been a history buff but I was fascinated with the lives of these women and how hard they fought for womens' rights. Amazing material and I want my daughters to read about it when they're older.

So now I've gone in the completely opposite direction, and am reading the outrageously anti-feminist (but crazy fun) autobiography of Pamela Des Barres, I'm With The Band. Des Barres paints herself as a flaky blonde hippie but there's obviously more to her than that. As a teen I was a huge, huge fan of late '60's/early '70's rock 'n' roll and this book is bringing out the old fangirl in me - Des Barres was a former girlfriend of Jimmy Page (who adorned my bedroom walls for years), and was buddies with the likes of Frank Zappa, Jim Morrison, Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart, and various members of The Byrds, The Who, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and too many more to list. This book originally came out in the mid-'80's and I don't know how I missed it the first time around, but the latest edition does have a new forward written by Dave Navarro. This book is about as non-PC as you get, but a super-fun read and I love looking at all her snapshots that are included.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane - I remember reading I'm With the Band when it first came out. That girl has some stories to tell!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I read children's books for a living but have read a number of YA titles lately. At last I am reading something adult - Marcia Muller's Burnout, a Sharon McCone mystery. It is fun to read something from an old favorite series.

Another author who has a few to choose from is Cecelia Ahrens. She wrote the book P.S. I Love You and has a brand new one that just hit stores (but I can't remember the name of it!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's probably 'Thanks for the Memories' -- I just started it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3425361;
    I read children's books for a living but have read a number of YA titles lately. At last I am reading something adult - Marcia Muller's Burnout, a Sharon McCone mystery. It is fun to read something from an old favorite series.
    I read that one, about 3 books ago. She's a very good author.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just started Sex Wars last night and am loving it! It's the kind of book that makes me wish I could call in sick so I could just stay in bed all day and read!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have now put my limits on holds at the library today. Just started reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, love Joe Morelli wonder if Stephanie will pick him or Ranger?

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3429284;
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I have now put my limits on holds at the library today. Just started reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, love Joe Morelli wonder if Stephanie will pick him or Ranger?
    The Janet books are fun, easy, entertaining reads. I read the first 6, just when the Ranger, Joe options were a plenty, but have not read any further. I needed a break.

Enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3430002;
    The Janet books are fun, easy, entertaining reads. I read the first 6, just when the Ranger, Joe options were a plenty, but have not read any further. I needed a break.

Enjoy them!
    make sure you guys read the between-the-numbers novels too. there may be more options than just joe and morelli....just sayin
    ignorance is excellence

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3425361;
    Wow, I can't imagine a job where I got paid to read all day!!

I am currently reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I am enjoying it, but I was expecting to LOVE it based on my aunt's recommendation. I have a lot of book left, so I still might get to that point!

I am thinking about tabling it temporarily so I can read The Reader by Bernhard Schlink before the movie gets to the top of my Netflix queue...

+ Reply to Thread