+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3421785;
    Just started reading Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig. If you liked the character from Gone With TheWind and ever wondered what his back story was, this is the book. So far so good--surprisingly so.
    Rhett Butler's people - Google Book Search
    I went into this book with trepidation, but ended up really enjoying it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3414811;
    AJane! - I read Piercy's Three Women cover to cover on Sunday. Could not put it down. Got nothing else done. One of her best. I just wanted to reach right through that book and hug each of those women. I ordered two more off Amazon and am taking the three I own to my mom when I go visit her in Ohio on Sat. Let me know when you've read it! I'll be interested to hear your reaction.
    I just finished it. I loved each and every character, I think they are the best ones Piercy has created thus far (that I've read). My only complaint about this one is that it was far too short - I wanted to know if
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Suzanne & Jake ended up reconciling, if Elena did become a therapist eventually, and what happens to Marta and her baby
    . I really loved the whole book and thought it was wonderfully moving tribute to women's relationships, particularly mother-daughter ones. I would give my mom a copy as well, Gut, but she's way too sensitive about obscene language and at least one of those sex scenes - you know which one I mean - would scare her off the rest of the book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3421983;
    I would give my mom a copy as well, Gut, but she's way too sensitive about obscene language and at least one of those sex scenes - you know which one I mean - would scare her off the rest of the book.
    Oh shoot! I forgot about that. I'll have to e-mail her and warn her about it. I gave her Summer People, Gone to Soldiers, and Three Women and I think she'll read them in that order, so I should have time to warn her. Thanks for the reminder!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

Currently reading American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. Great read so far.

Wow, Ive been away for a while! Ive been without internet (*gasp!*) for over a month, so I did a lot of reading. In no particular order, heres whats been on my nightstand:
    The Glister John Burnside very strange. Still dont know how I feel about it
    Angels of Destruction Keith Donohue
    The Sidewalk Artist Gina Buonaguro and Janice Kirk
    Testimony Anita Shreve better than I expected and different from anything else Ive read by her
    As Above, So Below Rudy Rucker novel about Peter Bruegel
    The Knitting Circle - Ann Hood
    Julia's Chocolates - Cathy Lamb
    A Golden Age Tahmima Anam set in East Pakistan during the Bangladesh War of Independence in 1971
    Apart From the Crowd Anna McPartlin chic lit and great fun think Jane Green meets Maeve Binchy
    The Forger Paul Watkins
    Silent Bob Speaks Kevin Smith hes the man
    The Ridiculous Race Steve Hely and Vali Chandrasekaran - hilarious race around the world

Now Im reading Tawni ODells Coal Run and am loving her writing. She has such a way with the language that she turns what could be a rather ordinary story into something special.

All this talk about Marge Piercy is making me want to get out my copy of Sex Wars and finally read it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Wondered where you'd been. I LOVE Silent Bob, didn't know he had a book. I'm going to look for it at the library. Some of the others sound good too.
    I'm going to get to read for pleasure here in another week. Can't wait. I have much to catch up on.

On another note: Glad to see Jon Meachum get the Pulitizer for American Lion. Great book. Jackson has a mixed review from me as to the kind of president he was, but Meachum treats the good and the bad very effectively in the book.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. It won the Pulitzer Prize last year. I'm 80 pages in and I'm in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3421821;
    im liking mystic river a lot! it started out slow but now is getting really good.
    Glad to see you're enjoying it. The movie was also surprisingly well done.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3421130;
    I didn't know there was a new Barbara Vine novel. I just requested it from my library. I'm so excited, she's one of my favorite authors.

I read the The Spellman Files, but I wasn't that impressed. The plot was not great, and the characters didn't appeal to me. They definitely didn't have the charm of the Stephanie Plum books, imho.
    Totally agree. I think the only thing the 2 authors have in common is the publisher.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3423346;
    Now Im reading Tawni ODells Coal Run and am loving her writing. She has such a way with the language that she turns what could be a rather ordinary story into something special.
    Welcome Back! Your absence was noted and you were missed!

I enjoy Tawni O'Dell as well, and my favorite was "Sister Mine"; I loved many of the characters and found the story compelling and wished she would do a sequel on it featuring the miner survivors.

norealityhere: Spellman files - the first 30-40 pages were challenging for me. I don't like flashback, flashforward mix it up chronologically; it is confusing when you are meeting new characters. But, after I got past that I did enjoy the book.
    This is a series about private investigators that are family, but without much in the line of mystery. The books explore the dynamics of a dysfunctional family, and while I found some parts amusing, it is a very different feel from Janet Evanovich humor. I enjoyed the first book enough to start the second "Curse of the Spellmans", and I think this series is much better then the Haunted Bookshop mysteries by Alice Kimberly (which I found dull, with a PI Ghost that was annoying, - not the least charming as was the Captain in the "The Ghost and Mrs Muir").
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread