+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3418086;
    Im reading a book called "the ha ha" I dont really know anything about it...it was on one of those impulse checkout shelfs at the library lol you walk by and take a look at it etc...so I got it.

my book club is doing mystic river..if anyone knows of anything that has worked well with book clubs let me know..it was hard for me to pick out that one, I did because it was on my shelf and I needed to read it anyways.
    I am in a book club right now that is reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. It is a great book for a club because there is so much to talk about. It is one of those books that keeps your mind reeling after you put it down.

Another author who has a few to choose from is Cecelia Ahrens. She wrote the book P.S. I Love You and has a brand new one that just hit stores (but I can't remember the name of it!)
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I am almost finished with The Perfect Poison, latest Jane Ann Krentz, Arcane Society series. I love Krentz so anything she writes is good by me and I am enjoying this book. Next up is The Spellman Files, by Lisa Lutz....... recommended by readers at the Janet Evanovich site so I am looking forward to it. They also listed books by Anne George and will get around to those after the Spellman series.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fogey

I finished Friday Night Knitting Club tonight. The best I can give it is a mixed review. I think it would have benefitted from a little extra editing before it was declared complete. There were MANY characters introduced, and some were not really fleshed out enough to either keep track of them OR to really get invested in their stories, which left it weak and slow in parts. But in other parts where the writing was a little tighter, I found myself really getting invested. During the slow parts, I kept wondering why I was continuing to read it, but during the good parts, I just wanted to keep reading and reading.

Next up - The Middle Place.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by nanaslbkp;3417520;
    Thanks for the comment, my husband is a former Marine and was in Vietnam. He went through hell and suffers from PTSD. I appreciate anyone who sympathizes with our military men and women! Semper Fi !!
    Tell your husband I said thank you for his service. The American people cannot thank our troops and veterans enough.

This book has turned out to be a really detailed version of what combat is like and it puts faces to the casualties. It's been a very serious book, but one I'm glad I'm reading. I have even more appreciation for what our troops have gone through and continue to go through.

Funny thing happened this weekend with the book. My brother was in town and he knows I'm interested in military history, so he's telling me this story about this Vietnam vet he met and how interesting the guy is and he starts telling me some of the story the vet told him about his experiences in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot and how there was a movie made about it. I'm listening and thinking, "this sounds familiar". So I asked: "if this vet named Crandall?" My brother is stupifed and says: "Yes, how did you know?". I said: "I'm currently reading the book that the movie was based on and he is a pretty predominant player in the book."

Of all the miltitary history books I've read, I must say that this one gives the best account of what combat is really like. Not having experienced it for myself, but in talking with those that have and reading this, I now have new appreciation for our troops.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3418347;
    I finished Friday Night Knitting Club tonight. The best I can give it is a mixed review. I think it would have benefitted from a little extra editing before it was declared complete. There were MANY characters introduced, and some were not really fleshed out enough to either keep track of them OR to really get invested in their stories, which left it weak and slow in parts. But in other parts where the writing was a little tighter, I found myself really getting invested. During the slow parts, I kept wondering why I was continuing to read it, but during the good parts, I just wanted to keep reading and reading.

Next up - The Middle Place.
    Agree 100 percent with your review of Friday Night Knitting Club. Hated the slow pace at the beginning!

The Middle Place is good, you'll like it better I think. I enjoy memoirs and this one is well written.

Another popular book right now is Still Alice, written from the perspective of a 50-year-old prof who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's (fictional). I could not put it down. Author is very knowledgeable about the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3418338;
    I am almost finished with The Perfect Poison, latest Jane Ann Krentz, Arcane Society series. I love Krentz so anything she writes is good by me and I am enjoying this book. Next up is The Spellman Files, by Lisa Lutz....... recommended by readers at the Janet Evanovich site so I am looking forward to it. They also listed books by Anne George and will get around to those after the Spellman series.

Let me know what you think after you read this. She's cousin to a friend of mine at my gym, so he pushed me into reading her. I read the first 2. I thought she was clearly trying to be like Janet Evanovich. But, I could not recommend the Spellman series at all. Not at all funny and little to no plot.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm in the middle of 'The Birthday Present' by Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell's nom de plume for her psychological thrillers), then on to 'Sanctuary' by Ken Bruen. I love the Stephenie Plum books -- we're both Jersey girls, after all.

I didn't know there was a new Barbara Vine novel. I just requested it from my library. I'm so excited, she's one of my favorite authors.

I read the The Spellman Files, but I wasn't that impressed. The plot was not great, and the characters didn't appeal to me. They definitely didn't have the charm of the Stephanie Plum books, imho.

Just started reading Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig. If you liked the character from Gone With TheWind and ever wondered what his back story was, this is the book. So far so good--surprisingly so.
    Rhett Butler's people - Google Book Search

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3418135;
    Mystic River shouold do well with your book club. Definitely quite a bit for everybody to talk about.
    Surprisingly, a friend of mine told me her book club read the last of the John Updike novels. Besides being a great series, ( the Rabbit books ) it seems that the last novel talked a lot about him and his affairs, so, she said not only was it great to discuss from a literary standpoint, but it also got into some good gossip.
    im liking mystic river a lot! it started out slow but now is getting really good.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread