+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3392558;
    I read Mystic River years ago and thought it was great, too. I enjoyed the movie, as well, though it was not able to capture all the poignancy of the novel.
    I just picked up Mystic River from the library because someone here was talking about his newest one so I thought Id try one of his..and since I had saw the movie I thought that was a good pick.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by j8sheehy;3394981;
    i finally looked on his website a little while ago. i didnt know Rhyme was a series. I will defnitely start fromt eh beginning and read them all.

Looks like he has 3 other series, but with less books. Have you read the Kathryn Dance series? looks like thats his latest. When I find an author I like I read everything the write. I am just glad he has a lot of books. Now I can keep myself occupied for a while.
    I have read two of the Kathryn Dance books, but as I haven't been reading in any sort of order I didn't realize that there was an ongoing series.

It may be a little tougher to find his earlier books (the Rune ones and the ones featuring the film location guy [can't recall his name off hand]) but they are worth the effort. They are not the highest quality "literature", certainly, but I very much enjoy his books.

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3395931;
    I just picked up Mystic River from the library because someone here was talking about his newest one so I thought Id try one of his..and since I had saw the movie I thought that was a good pick.
    If you're going to give Dennis Lehane a try, I cannot recommend Shutter Island highly enough. It is a fantastic book.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3395998;
    I have read two of the Kathryn Dance books, but as I haven't been reading in any sort of order I didn't realize that there was an ongoing series.

It may be a little tougher to find his earlier books (the Rune ones and the ones featuring the film location guy [can't recall his name off hand]) but they are worth the effort. They are not the highest quality "literature", certainly, but I very much enjoy his books.

If you're going to give Dennis Lehane a try, I cannot recommend Shutter Island highly enough. It is a fantastic book.
    Rattus,
    That was the only 1 of his books that I didn't like. Did you like it better than his others? It's a very different style.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Just discovered Jim Butcher and am reading & enjoying "Storm Front". All the remaining books have a lengthy waiting list at the library, except for "Dead Beat" which I snatched up and will read next I guess.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3396098;
    Rattus,
    That was the only 1 of his books that I didn't like. Did you like it better than his others? It's a very different style.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that I liked it better (though I didn't like is less), and it is a very different style, but it is the book that stayed in my mind the longest. That is actually a little disappointing to me because I don't know if I'll be able to see the movie when it comes out. My crappy middle-aged memory being what it is, I had completely forgotten who did what in Mystic River by the time I saw it, but I can't unremember the end of Shutter Island.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I loved Shutter Island too, but I'm the opposite of Rattus - I remember Mystic River better, somehow. I blame my middle-aged memory too.

Gut - I finished The Third Child yesterday. I mistakenly thought the subject matter was lighter than her other work, but "disturbing" is the right description. Melissa's relationships with everyone in her life were chilling, to put it mildly, but I found her character completely sympathetic and I couldn't help hoping for everything to turn out OK for her. The ending both surprised and horrified me. I think this one will stay with me for a while. I'm going to try out Three Women next, after I finish the biography of Victoria Woodhull that I've started.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3396247;
    I wouldn't necessarily say that I liked it better (though I didn't like is less), and it is a very different style, but it is the book that stayed in my mind the longest. That is actually a little disappointing to me because I don't know if I'll be able to see the movie when it comes out. My crappy middle-aged memory being what it is, I had completely forgotten who did what in Mystic River by the time I saw it, but I can't unremember the end of Shutter Island.
    Thanks for letting me know. I do think that the books that stay with us are the most memorable. Although, I'd have to say that since I'm such a voracious reader, I do forget a bunch. I don't know if it's an age related thing; my friends who read few books seem to remember them better.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm in the middle of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's new novel El Juego del Angel/Angel's Game (the Swedish translation; it won't be out in English until mid-June unless I'm mistaken). So far I'm loving it: it has a similar feel to The Shadow of the Wind, only even more gothic... and the Cemetery of Forgotten Books makes an appearance again! It's a real page turner, so much so that I actually woke up thinking about the story in the middle of the night and ended up reading it between 4 and 5 am.

Here's the Amazon blurb:

"Zafón’s international best-seller, The Shadow of the Wind (2004), a book-steeped fantasia set in post–World War II Barcelona, introduced us to Daniel Sempere and the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a secret library where books are guarded against oblivion. The Angel’s Game, a prequel of sorts set in the 1920s, features another Daniel—Daniel Martín*—an orphan who learns the writing trade at a newspaper, then finds success with a pseudonymous series of gothic potboilers called City of the Damned. After his lone literary effort falls flat, his health failing, he accepts a commission from a mysterious publisher, Andreas Corelli, to write an audacious book for an astronomical sum—but soon has reason to suspect that his handshake deal is worse than any contract he has signed."

* Actually, the protagonist's name is David, not Daniel - at least in the Spanish original edition and the Swedish translation. I hate it when reviewers get the names wrong - anal, who me?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Regular

I enjoyed Bitter is the New Black over vacation (a really timely read right now with people who have over spent on designer stuff and/or are unemployed). Currently I'm into 44 Scotland Street, I think someone here recommended it. Love it. Next up: Still Alice, the fictional account of a woman diagnosed at an early age with Alzheimer's.

I am on the 13th stephanie plumb series and am so addicted! I love how she writes her characters and oh my goodness I am so in love with Morelli and Ranger..I can see why Stephanie is..they are very similer...but boy, when Ranger gets his flirt on *fans self*
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread