+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3393798;
    I'm thinking you either love this series or you don't. Enjoy Eclipse. After you are done with the series, there are some incredibly well written fan fics out there, that I've been enjoying for a few weeks. It's fun to extend the characters, for those that don't want to say goodbye to Edward and Bella.
    Please list a few of them here for us, if you don't mind. Thanks talldede!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Anyone ever read Jeffrey Deaver? I am reading a murder/crime novel of his called The Vanished Man. A friend of mine gave it to me about 5 yrs ago and I just found it and decided to read it. It is really good.
    ignorance is excellence

Quote Originally Posted by j8sheehy;3394940;
    Anyone ever read Jeffrey Deaver? I am reading a murder/crime novel of his called The Vanished Man. A friend of mine gave it to me about 5 yrs ago and I just found it and decided to read it. It is really good.
    I've actually read nearly all of his stuff (I'm a big fan of mysteries). I think my favourite of the Lincoln Rhyme series would be The Stone Monkey. My favourite non-series book is The Blue Nowhere.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3394784;
    Please list a few of them here for us, if you don't mind. Thanks talldede!
    I'd be happy to, am I allowed to? Let me check with the mods. If not, I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3394959;
    I've actually read nearly all of his stuff (I'm a big fan of mysteries). I think my favourite of the Lincoln Rhyme series would be The Stone Monkey. My favourite non-series book is The Blue Nowhere.
    i finally looked on his website a little while ago. i didnt know Rhyme was a series. I will defnitely start fromt eh beginning and read them all.

Looks like he has 3 other series, but with less books. Have you read the Kathryn Dance series? looks like thats his latest. When I find an author I like I read everything the write. I am just glad he has a lot of books. Now I can keep myself occupied for a while.
    ignorance is excellence

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Fan Fiction - I did not know this even existed until a few months ago. Like many others, I was intrigued enough by the Twilight series, the Edward character especially, I did not want to let him go in my mind. I chanced upon fan fiction. This is where authors use the characters that SMeyer created and puts them in their own situations. I was quite skeptical, but I've been very pleasantly surprised. Of course, you have to peruse through the smut and the silly stories, but I've found some gems. These writers do this as a hobby. They are immensely talented. I'm going to link you to 4 stories, one is a completed fic, the other three are ongoing. That can be a bit frustrating, but keep in mind, this is a hobby for these writers and it's free entertainment for us, the reader.

The Dark Dance of Temptation - this is a completed fic and one many think is better than Breaking Dawn. So, if you had issues with BD and many fans did, read this fic, it's excellent. The Dark Dance of Temptation, a Twilight fanfic - FanFiction.Net

Innocent, Vigilant, Ordinary - this is not complete, the author is due to update any day, yeah! The writing here is superb. Innocent, Vigilant, Ordinary, a Twilight fanfic - FanFiction.Net

Black & White - My FAVE! Edward is not a vamp in this story, he is a battered ex Marine trying to get his life back together by settling in Forks, WA. This story is so rich. The author uses tons of foreshadowing, metaphors and symbolism to the story. I've learned so much by reading it and participating on a forum just talking about all aspects of it. This author does her research. It's almost complete, we have about 6 more chapters. The author Vixen has hinted at maybe trying to get this published, if she changes the names of the characters and the locations, many of us think she's got a great shot. It's that good! Black and White, a Twilight fanfic - FanFiction.Net

Vampire in the Basement - this fic just started, but it's excellent and dark and scary and compelling. Give it a try, you'll be hooked, but keep in mind, you'll have to wait for updates, like the rest of us. The Vampire in the Basement, a Twilight fanfic - FanFiction.Net

Please feel free to PM me if you want more recommendations. There are also excellent sites where the authors discuss the story with you, post teasers, the music that inspired them while writing, etc. Enjoy!
    Last edited by talldede; 03-27-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j8sheehy;3394940;
    I'm a fan of his, esp. the Lincoln Rhyme novels. He's one of the better mystery writers out there.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I picked up my reserved copy of the Brass Verdict by Micael Connelly the other day. It's really good so far. Connelly used to be a crime reporter for the LA Times, so there's a lot of police procedural research and accuracy in his books.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Just read Boom! By Tom Brokow. Very interesting book about the 60's and it's impact on today. Browkow manages to capture each generation he writes about very well. I highly reccomend this book.

Reading Blue Dixie right now by Bob Moser. It's about Southern politics and is actually VERY interesting. If you are interested in politics.

Add me to the list of Jeffry Deaver, Lincoln Rhyme books.

Get Boom! You'll like it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just read a really great book called "Good Grief" its about a woman going through the stages of grief after losing her husband to cancer..very well written

now Im reading the ninth stephanie plumb book
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread