+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3390813;
    I am taking a little break from the SPlum series right now to read Maeve Binchy's The Glass Lake. It is okay so far, but I am having a hard time because I really liked the dynamic of Janet Evanovich's books. It's hard to go from reading one of hers to reading something so serious and slow paced.
    I've read a ton of Maeve Binchy's and have had The Glass Lake sitting on my night stand forever. I think I needed a break from her.

I just read Christine Feehan's "Conspiracy Game." It's the fourth in a her GhostWalker series, I just ordered 1-3. The action is intense, somewhat X-Men like, combined with romance.

I gave Stephanie Plum a try. She was okay, but too much like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone (a series I don't care for at all). I did get a laugh out of the descriptions of her getups, particularly the multi-coloured bike shorts. I remember wearing those in the mid-'90's. But I don't like her anywhere near as much as Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next. It was a nice light, quick read, though.

I'm now into another Marge Piercy, The Third Child. Different in tone from her other work (that I've read), not as heavy but very good nonetheless.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Have any of you read The Middle Place? My sister just gave me a copy over the weekend. She has raved and raved about how wonderful it is. She's raved to such an extent that I'm considering putting the book I'm currently reading aside in order to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3391276;
    I'm now into another Marge Piercy, The Third Child. Different in tone from her other work (that I've read), not as heavy but very good nonetheless.
    I'll be curious to hear how you like this one. I found it very disturbing. I gave up on Sex Wars for now. I have Three Women waiting for me (both Marge Piercy). I'll wait until I have a block of time to tackle Sex Wars again.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3391277;
    Have any of you read The Middle Place? My sister just gave me a copy over the weekend. She has raved and raved about how wonderful it is. She's raved to such an extent that I'm considering putting the book I'm currently reading aside in order to read it.
    I read this for my book group and it created some good discussion. Can't say it's so good that I'd drop something else but it's certainly worth a read.

Over vacation I read Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster. Anyone read this before? Interesting memoir/comedy, makes you laugh in places, about how a fast track young executive who loved designer labels spent 2 years unemployed after 9/11. Based on the success of this book and the others she's written since, I have a feeling she's wearing designer duds again.

[QUOTE=obsession57;3391363;]I read this for my book group and it created some good discussion. Can't say it's so good that I'd drop something else but it's certainly worth a read.

I read "First you Cry" years ago by Betty Rollins. It's about the same topic. It was an extremely heartfelt book. I might be curious to see how Ms. Corrigan's compares with Ms. Rollins'. The latter was excellent.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just finished Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River" (very moving, sad, but great book) and now I'm going old school and reading some Stephen King. Haven't read any of his stuff in years. Almost done with "Cell" - somehow it reminds me of "The Stand" in plot and the way it progresses.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3392544;
    I just finished Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River" (very moving, sad, but great book) and now I'm going old school and reading some Stephen King. Haven't read any of his stuff in years. Almost done with "Cell" - somehow it reminds me of "The Stand" in plot and the way it progresses.
    I read Mystic River years ago and thought it was great, too. I enjoyed the movie, as well, though it was not able to capture all the poignancy of the novel.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just finished New Moon last night and will be starting Eclipse today. This series has me so hooked, I've started to kind of write my own Bella & Edward story. LOL
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;3393657;
    I just finished New Moon last night and will be starting Eclipse today. This series has me so hooked, I've started to kind of write my own Bella & Edward story. LOL
    I'm thinking you either love this series or you don't. Enjoy Eclipse. After you are done with the series, there are some incredibly well written fan fics out there, that I've been enjoying for a few weeks. It's fun to extend the characters, for those that don't want to say goodbye to Edward and Bella.

+ Reply to Thread