+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

agreed. and then the lucy thing just got to be waaaay too much. with everyone hating her for being smart. and flying a helicopter and being a multimillionaire at like....25. i dont even know what happened with her medical stuff. last one i read was when scarpetta found out from benton wesley that he knew and they were keeping it from her. thats when i said 'what about the mystery, autopsies and murder investigations? since when did this become a soap opera?' so i stopped reading them.
    ignorance is excellence

I am in the middle of The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Set in the early 60s, it tells about the life of two blackmaids and a young woman longing to be a writer and get married right away as her mother wants. Its a fascinating look into another time, which hopefully is long gone. You feel as if you are right there, a fly on the wall, taking it all in. Heres a link for more detail. Book Review: The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Book Lady’s Blog

Just finished Eileen Wilks - Mortal Sins. Really good read.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The Devil In The Kitchen, an autobiography of chef Marco Pierre White (my av). My current crush. I'm not a big fan of biographies/autobiographies, but this is a very entertaining read. I'm not a foodie - I cook because the husband can't, the kids are too young and we have to eat somehow - but I find the tips and cooking techniques included throughout to be fascinating.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I've been reading a lot of Mary Jane Maffini books lately. I started with Lament for a Lounge Lizard, the first book in her Fiona Silk series, then read Speak Ill of the Dead, the first book in her Camilla McPhee series and lastly, Organize your Corpses, the first book in her Charlotte Adams series. She seems to be a very prolific author to say the least .

I think the books are classic whodunits, and also really funny, but maybe a drier humour than say Janet Evanovich. I also love that most of her books are set in Canada (Toronto and a fictional village in Quebec called St Aubaine). Definitely recommended for light reading.

BTW, I've been meaning to tell those who recommended the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series for my sick friend that they were the perfect choice. The other day I popped in the hospital for a visit and found her drying her eyes. Luckily they were tears of laughter from reading Grandma Mazur's classic Dirty Harry impersonation in Two for the Dough . So many thanks!

I just started Beach Road by James Patterson. I finished the latest Cornwell/Scarpetta novel and am waiting for the newest to come out in paperback.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I just finished Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. The author goes "undercover" and works low-wage jobs for several month in three different cities. The book was interesting and well-written, but I found the author to be pretentious and insufferable.

I just finished Evanovich's between the numbers books and they were just okay. No where near as good as the other Plum novels. Now I'm starting Metro Girl. So far, it's very much like the Plum series but the characters aren't as likeable.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3390517;
    I just finished Evanovich's between the numbers books and they were just okay. No where near as good as the other Plum novels. Now I'm starting Metro Girl. So far, it's very much like the Plum series but the characters aren't as likeable.
    I read both Metro Girl and Motor Mouth. They are similar to Plum series, but a little less out-there. They were good though. The characters DEFInitely arent as likeable as the Plums series-how COULD they be? But if she had written more of the Metro Girl series I would definitely read it.
    ignorance is excellence

I am taking a little break from the SPlum series right now to read Maeve Binchy's The Glass Lake. It is okay so far, but I am having a hard time because I really liked the dynamic of Janet Evanovich's books. It's hard to go from reading one of hers to reading something so serious and slow paced.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread