+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3378455;
    Im on the Third Stephanie plumb book now, the second one I liked, but not a lot till about halfway through...just curious, out of the series which ones do you like the best?
    I liked her first book the best. I found an "advance copy" at my local library. It was long before she became popular. I've not enjoyed her most recent books as much. But, I still think they're funnier than many of the "copycat writers" out there.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3377803;
    Any ohter Philippa Grrpgry fans ehre? I was recently introduced to her writing thorugh "The Other Bolyn Girl" and have found her books not only well-written but very well researched.

I am currently reading "Earthly Pleasures" which is about the era of the early 17th century in England. It is so good that I look forward to getting to it during the reading part of my day.

I can't say that about many of the books I've had to read recently.
    Re Philippa Gregory:I also liked the Virgin Lover, by the way. Also try Alison Weir's Innocent Traitor about Lady Jane, who ruled for 10 days. I learned about that book in this thread a long time ago and loved it. Weir does a lot of historical research.

I tried to read Phillipa Gregory and didnt like it at all, didnt finish...which shocks me cause I like historical fiction, and even that era..for some reason I couldnt get into the book.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3378455;
    Im on the Third Stephanie plumb book now, the second one I liked, but not a lot till about halfway through...just curious, out of the series which ones do you like the best?
    The first was definitely the best. They start to get repetitive after a while (oh look, Stephanie being inept at her job again! Torn between Morelli and Ranger again! Here comes crazy Grandma again!) but are still, overall, entertaining.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

well im on the third one and so far I like it the best..I started it today and am almost finished already lol
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;3378560;
    I tried to read Phillipa Gregory and didnt like it at all, didnt finish...which shocks me cause I like historical fiction, and even that era..for some reason I couldnt get into the book.

I know what you mean. I really like some historical novels and others I can't get very far into. It's obviously a matter of individual tastes in writing styles.

Just out of curiosity--do you remember which one you tried to read?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3378519;
    Re Philippa Gregory:I also liked the Virgin Lover, by the way. Also try Alison Weir's Innocent Traitor about Lady Jane, who ruled for 10 days. I learned about that book in this thread a long time ago and loved it. Weir does a lot of historical research.

Thanks so much! I'll look for her book the next time I'm in a bookstore.

For nonfiction history I really like Carrolly Erickson. Her historical books read like novels. She really brings her subjects alive and she writes mostly about various women in enlgish history.

(Just for accuracy--I misspoke on the name of the Gregory book I'm reading--It's "Earthly Joys" not pleasures. )

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3380087;
    I know what you mean. I really like some historical novels and others I can't get very far into. It's obviously a matter of individual tastes in writing styles.

Just out of curiosity--do you remember which one you tried to read?
    It was Wideacre

Phillippa Gregory has not been one of my favorites. She is too into the usable research. I like a little time to use my imagination.

I've been reading David Fuller's Sweetsmoke-a Civil War novel. I'm almost to the end and have really appreciated the prose.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3380278;
    Phillippa Gregory has not been one of my favorites. She is too into the usable research. I like a little time to use my imagination.

Famita--hi--I am not trying to disagree with you--I do find it interesting how each of us has our own tastes and our own preferences in reading. For me the Gregory books "Earthly Joys" and "Virgin Earth" were fascinating because there was so much I learned about plants and how they are studied and grown--and about life in America before the arrival of Europeans who "civilized" everything and every one.

It sounds like for you the people aspect of the story is more important. I like that we're not all the same. Imagine how boring life would be if we were!

SRS--thanks so much for the info. I'm not familiar with that Gregory book but from the title it doesn't sound like one of her books that deals with a specific period and place in history. I could be wrong and I am going to look into it and see what it's about. I personally like the books of hers that deal with specific people in history like "The Other Bolyn Girl."

+ Reply to Thread