+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 717 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104504 ... LastLast
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Every few days I pick up "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and read a few more pages. Let's face it, I'm not going to be able to just sit down and read that sucker cover-to-cover. I tried it once, and then my brain exploded.

I've also just started "Cryptonomicon", by Neal Stephenson. I expect to finish somewhere around my 40th birthday.

And "World History for Dummies". I've always sucked at history. I was legitimately proud of myself for getting through college without taking one history course (except art history). Now I regret it. I have this huge hole in my knowledge base, and I want to fill it.

Most interesting thing I've learned from that book: "Czar" and "Kaiser" are derived from "Ceasar". Neat, eh?

Amanda, I really liked Brief History of Time. Of course, I've read it many, many times. (You almost have to, if you want to absorb any of it)

My favorite "science" book is "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions", written in 1880, but still relevant and funny and interesting today.

I had quite the interest in high school with quantum mechanics, multiple dimensions, and relativity. Yes, I was quite the playa.

I go through phases with my reading. At times it's all mystery and drama .. and then I think my brain may be rotting, so I spend a few months reading political commentary or things that are about personal growth.

Then months go by and I don't read anything deeper than Rick Reilly (SI).

Is anyone else here hooked on Peanut Press? For those of you going , this is Palm's digital book (or e-book) download site.

I travel a lot, so space and weight are always a consideration. I can download a book on my PDA, and if I can keep it out of sight of the stewardesses on take-off and landing, I can keep myself entertained the whole trip.

I caught up with all the Pat Conroy novels I hadn't read before this way. Also read "Let's Roll" in-flight, which even this much past 9/11 was a really, really bad idea.

Has anyone read Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher"? I seem to be having a little trouble getting into it. I want to know if it's just me...

I'm fairly early in the book. The guys are at the cabin hunting, and Jonesy almost gets his deer.

John - I read this because I thought we were going to see the movie and I like to read the book first. I think once they start exploring the relationship with a friend from childhood it picks up a little more.

I think most of SK's books are a lot of foreshadowing in the beginning and full of the slow detail of life - especially male bonding. Unfortunately, I don't think you can rush it...it's not like reading Ludlum.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Jay
    John, I finished "Dreamcatcher" about 2 months ago. It is a little slow to get going but you have to be patient with it. This story is somewhat different from his other novels. This wasn't one of my favorite King novels.

I am currently reading Tom Clancy's latest paperback "Red Rabbit". I feel kind of cheated because this book is only 600 pages and is shorter than his other novels.

I'm finally reading something, granted it seems light compared to some of the books I'm seeing on the list, but heck, it's a book (again...after a long while) so this is a good thing. I'd heard about this book on another message board that I frequently lurk at and decided to give it a shot, it's called Getting Over Jack Wagner by Elise Juska. It's sort of a girlie type book (romance/coming of age thing) but hopefully it will get me back in the swing of things and reading on a more regular basis again.

I've been reading murder mysteries by Peter Robinson. Usually I dont read English mystery books--too much talk, not enough action--but this guys work is very interesting.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    John, I finished "Dreamcatcher" about 2 months ago. It is a little slow to get going but you have to be patient with it. This story is somewhat different from his other novels. This wasn't one of my favorite King novels.

I am currently reading Tom Clancy's latest paperback "Red Rabbit". I feel kind of cheated because this book is only 600 pages and is shorter than his other novels.
    I wanted to read Red Rabbit, never took the time. I've enjoyed a few other Tom Clancy books like the Net Force series.

Woo hoo!! Only 200 more pages to go of War and Peace, then on to Mayor of Casterbridge, than back to light reading for me.

+ Reply to Thread