+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Sorry it wasn't a good fit. I am a dreamer, so I enjoyed it both times and can't wait to rent the movie.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3313665;
    I recently finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (at Gutmutter's suggestion ages ago). I really liked her writing. It was beautiful and poetic and just descriptive enough without going overboard. But I didn't like the plot or the characters at all. Little white girl saves ignorant and proud black woman during the civil rights movement and then they steal away to a voodoo-like house with a trio of stereotypical southern black women, one of whom is God-like in her perfection?? I didn't feel like any of the characters were real because they were so romanticized. I felt like I was in the author's childhood daydream - and that kind of story is only good for the dreamer.

I had the same problem with this book, then I read a review that said the writer was kind of using "Magical Realism" to tell the story. I wish I could remember where I read that review because it made the book a lot more enjoyable for me.

I am reading the last in the "Maddie Springer" chic lit series written by Gemma Halliday entitled "Mayhem in High Heels" and enjoying it so far. I thought previously that the first was the best in this high heels series about a shoe designer that is a trouble magnet (like Stephanie Plum) complete with tall, handsome Hispanic detective boyfriend and her blond reporter wannbe boyfriend. Her crazy friends/family are there lending support. Yes, it is an Evanovich imitation, and if you enjoy chic lit regardless - it is OK. This final one in the Maddie series may be my favorite, at least I am enjoying it so far.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I'm reading Morgan Spurlock's Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America, which is very interesting. I thought it was going to be about the Supersize Me documentary, but it's actually all about the fast food industry. I found the sections about how they market to children most interesting so far. I recommend it to anyone who has small children, it will definitely make you reconsider picking up that Happy Meal!

I just finished Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris which was pretty good. I really like her Harper Connelly series and I plan to start the Sookie Stackhouse series next.

CCL

I'm a third of the way through Drood by Dan Simmons. So far I'm not loving it. Both the protagonist (Dickens) and the narrator (Wilkie Collins) come off as egotistical jerks and the writing is rather middle-of-the road/boring. Drood himself doesn't seem to be that compelling of a character either. Not sure I'll make it through the rest of the book.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3311776;
    I'm almost finished with The Hippopotamus by Stephen Frye. It is hilarious! I recommend it to anyone who isn't offended by cussing or explicit sexual talk.
    I loved that book. I particularly enjoyed the description of London as the world's biggest catwalk for literary emporers. Yep, still laughing at that.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I'm a quarter of the way into Marge Piercy's Braided Lives, and I'm really enjoying it. Reminiscent of Marilyn French, who is a favourite of mine.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular

Finished The Condition by Jennfier Haigh, loved it as much as Mrs. Kimble, her first book.

Finished the Thirteenth Tale for my book group, not my style of book but a quick read.

Reading The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle, a really great coming of age book set on a Colorado horse ranch. Grabs you right away. Love it.

Next book group books: the Middle Place, then Sarah's Key.

I'm reading The Other Hand by Chris Cleave. It's quite hard to tell anyone what it is about, really. They even put so on the cover, please don't tell anyone what the book is about, the magic is in how the story unfolds, which I couldn't agree with more.

It's an usual story of two very different women with different lives who paths crossed at random. The story begins two years later and, like they put themselves, the magic of the story is how it unfolds. It's very intriguing, though.

I'm slugging through Marge Piercy's Gone to Soldiers. Much heavier than her other books I've read. It's set in WWII and follows about 8 or 9 different characters who are only just starting to intersect 1/4 of the way through the book. I found 3 others of hers at the library and got Three Women that I ordered from Amazon, but I'm afraid if I put this one down, I'll lose the thread of who's who. Loved Braided Lives AJane.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread