+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading Linda Lael Miller's most recent in the McKettrick/Creed series; "Montana Creeds: Logan"

It's an easy to read western romance. I have to break up my mystery cozies every so often and Miller's books do that nicely for me.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I'm just about to finish Hesse's Siddhartha for the first time in 20 years. Interesting how differently I feel about it now than I did at 20. This time I bought a new edition with "bold" translation. I don't know how bold it is, but I enjoyed it very much.

Now I'm going back to Suite Francaise, which I was only a few chapters into when I took a break to read Siddhartha (book club read).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

I can't remember who here was reading The Condition by Jennifer Haigh, but let me just say I love it!! I've read both of other books and this is just as good, if not better.

I also read The Thirteenth Tale for my book group. I'm not a big mystery fan so it was just okay for me.

Am just starting the last in the Shakespeare Lily Bard series by Charlaine Harris, entitled Shakespeare's Counselor. It might be the best one yet! I love when a familiar character in a series, evolves and grows as a result of life challenges. I can't put it down, even though I know I have errands to run.......
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I just finished another Marge Piercy book, Braided Lives. After reading about an autobiography of hers on Amazon, I think this one was at least partly autobiographical. It's about women's evolving choices through the 50s and 60s - college, career, birth control, sex, abortion (illegal), etc. Even the men who gave lip service to the movement still wanted a wife like their mothers had been when it came down to it. This is the second book that involved a triangle relationship with two women and a man. The first one I read (Summer People)was based on that premise, but it was just a minor storyline toward the end of this one. I have another one lined up about women during WWII and just ordered another one from Amazon. I love to read broadly from one author's works.
    Count your blessings!

Gut - I have Marge Piercy's Sex Wars, but haven't read it yet. I heard great things about it though. I really should put it in the "on deck circle" soon!

I'm still reading Suite Francaise, which is really good and completely heartbreaking. The author was a Russian Jew, who fled the Russian Revolution in 1918 and went to Paris. She then fled to the French countryside when the Nazis invaded. She died in Auschwitz in 1942 Because the book is not only written by someone who experienced what happens in the book, it's written at the time it happens, there's a sense of immediacy that's just stunning. Especially when you know what happened to the author.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm almost finished with The Hippopotamus by Stephen Frye. It is hilarious! I recommend it to anyone who isn't offended by cussing or explicit sexual talk.

I'm intrigued by the sound of those Piercy books and have put library holds on both Braided Lives and Sex Wars. I've been looking for a new author to read. Thanks to Gut & Crit.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The only Piercy book I am familiar with is the one I read several years ago entitled "Sex Wars: A Novel of Gilded Age New York" is there a newer variant available? I remember being surprised at how much I enjoyed and was intrigued, it felt more like a biography (some real life historical figures) then fiction at times, and gave me a lot to think about. I always meant to pick up a copy of "Gone to Soldiers" if I came across it, but never have.

I am reading an old series of Linda Lael Miller, and I don't think I will complete it - "Springwater Seasons" I am not in the mood for romance, and may just return it to the library and try the M. C. Beaton I've been ignoring. It is the first in the Agatha Raisin series, "The Quiche of Death" and the only one that was missing from the library.
    Christopher Reeve

I recently finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (at Gutmutter's suggestion ages ago). I really liked her writing. It was beautiful and poetic and just descriptive enough without going overboard. But I didn't like the plot or the characters at all. Little white girl saves ignorant and proud black woman during the civil rights movement and then they steal away to a voodoo-like house with a trio of stereotypical southern black women, one of whom is God-like in her perfection?? I didn't feel like any of the characters were real because they were so romanticized. I felt like I was in the author's childhood daydream - and that kind of story is only good for the dreamer.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread