+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

CNs Vampire times friend! beemicemm's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I'm a little late to the Harry potter game. I just started reading them and I can't put them down. I am on book 4 now.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3295486;
    No, but I would like too. I like both Kellerman's works.
    Just started it tonight at my gym - the teadmill would be pretty boring, otherwise. It's starting slower than the others, but I love Milo, so I hope it moves fast.
    I read Faye's latest - Mercedes Coffin - just before Obama's. It wasn't one of her best. Way too talky and way too many characters.

I'm actually in the middle of several books,

1. The girls next door- based on the tv show
    2. A Hopeless Romantic - love story
    3. Jon & Kate Plus 8 - written by them.

I just finished Violette's Embrace by Michelle Zackheim. I read her Broken Colors a while back and LOVED it. This one was about French writer Violette Leduc, and read like non-fiction. The book reads like a real-life account of a writer researching Leduc's life to write a book about her, but it's supposed to be fiction. So interesting. It made me want to read Leduc's work.

Next up is Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise. I've had so many people recommend it to me, so I figured it was time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I literally just picked up Dan Simmons' brand-new novel Drood, which - through Wilkie Collins' narrative - explores the last five years of the life of Charles Dickens and his unfinished novel The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I'm such a sucker for these kinds of stories - a bit of metafiction blended with neovictoriana/horror/suspense - it's ridiculous, so I'd be VERY surprised if I didn't end up loving it. So far, so good, anyway: Dan Simmons had me at "This true story will be about Charles Dickens's final five years and about his growing obsession during that time with a man - if man he was - named Edwin Drood, as well as with murder, death, corpses, crypts, mesmerism, opium, ghosts, and the streets and alleys of thar black-biled lower bowel of London that the writer always called "My Babylon" or "The Great Oven" on page 2.

Anyone else spontaneously drooling at this point?

This is my first Dan Simmons, although I've been meaning to read "The Terror" for quite a while. This one, however, felt more urging.

The Amazon link: Amazon.com: Drood: A Novel: Dan Simmons: Books
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL

^ Oh, that sounds good, geekthegirl.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Mr Nerd and I are almost finished with Let the right one in now, and yikes! So dark!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3296060;
    I literally just picked up Dan Simmons' brand-new novel Drood, which - through Wilkie Collins' narrative - explores the last five years of the life of Charles Dickens and his unfinished novel The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I'm such a sucker for these kinds of stories - a bit of metafiction blended with neovictoriana/horror/suspense - it's ridiculous, so I'd be VERY surprised if I didn't end up loving it. So far, so good, anyway: Dan Simmons had me at "This true story will be about Charles Dickens's final five years and about his growing obsession during that time with a man - if man he was - named Edwin Drood, as well as with murder, death, corpses, crypts, mesmerism, opium, ghosts, and the streets and alleys of thar black-biled lower bowel of London that the writer always called "My Babylon" or "The Great Oven" on page 2.

Anyone else spontaneously drooling at this point?

This is my first Dan Simmons, although I've been meaning to read "The Terror" for quite a while. This one, however, felt more urging.

The Amazon link: Amazon.com: Drood: A Novel: Dan Simmons: Books
    I picked that one up at the booksellers' convention in October but haven't read it yet. It sounded really great, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. Please give a review when you finish!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Has anyone read Marge Piercy? I read her Summer People when it was accidentally donated to a Middle School Christmas tag sale (NOT middle school appropriate) but loved it so much I went to Amazon to see what else she's written and ordered Braided Lives and Gone to Soldiers. It sounds like she's written a mixed bag of books. If anyone has a favorite to recommend... she's not current.
    Count your blessings!

finally! It wasnt letting me sign in, and I havent been able to come in here and post snif snif

im reading "it only takes a moment" by Mary Jane Clark
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread