+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz
    I really enjoyed that book. She made me just laugh so much. I saw it at a client's house and knew I had to read it. It's been a year or so now. Her witty take on her own foibles is just hilarious. Do you know if she's written anything else yet?
    Yes, she's since written Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are All These Idiots and Why Do They Live Next Door to Me? and Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big; Or, Why Pie Is Not the Answer.

The titles alone have me giggling. I have them both on hold at my library. According to her website, she has a new one coming out in the spring called Pretty in Plaid. She says the subtitle is to be determined but for now she's calling it The Book in Which Jen Goes David Sedaris All over Your Asses.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3278110;
    Yes, she's since written Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are All These Idiots and Why Do They Live Next Door to Me? and Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big; Or, Why Pie Is Not the Answer.

The titles alone have me giggling. I have them both on hold at my library. According to her website, she has a new one coming out in the spring called Pretty in Plaid. She says the subtitle is to be determined but for now she's calling it The Book in Which Jen Goes David Sedaris All over Your Asses.
    The titles alone are indicative that they should be just as good as the first. I'll have to check them out.

I loved the book Possession by A.S. Byatt. I'm going to read it again, it's been a while.

I'm listening to the audio book of Swan Peak by James Lee Burke, it's a pretty good book. Actor Will Patton is the narrator and he does such an excellent job for all the Dave Robicheaux books.

Yesterday, I started Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Act. Initially, I'd planned to start on of the Stephanie Plum novels but couldn't get into it. Something about an man *poof* magically appearing in her kitchen wasn't doing it for me. My 7 year old reads plenty of the fairy tale/magical stuff for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot later.

So, a few chapters into Vanishing Act, I picked up a book my husband is reading as research for work, Ceremonial Violence: A Psychological Explanation of School Shootings by Jonathan Fast. It's not my usual reading material but it sucked me in. Detailing specific cases(including Klebold and Harris of Columbine fame), it's a fascinating look at the variables that led these kids to commit such heinous acts.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3281015;
    Yesterday, I started Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Act. Initially, I'd planned to start on of the Stephanie Plum novels but couldn't get into it. Something about an man *poof* magically appearing in her kitchen wasn't doing it for me. My 7 year old reads plenty of the fairy tale/magical stuff for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot later.

So, a few chapters into Vanishing Act, I picked up a book my husband is reading as research for work, Ceremonial Violence: A Psychological Explanation of School Shootings by Jonathan Fast. It's not my usual reading material but it sucked me in. Detailing specific cases(including Klebold and Harris of Columbine fame), it's a fascinating look at the variables that led these kids to commit such heinous acts.
    Sounds like maybe one of the "between the numbers" books with Diesel. I understand the most recent one "Plum Spooky" is not very good. You might want to hold off a bit, or donate it to your library.

I just finished Charlaine Harris Shakespeare Christmas and have started (finally) Feint of Art by Hailey Lind and lovin it!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I finished Andrew Beahr's The Sin Eaters yesterday and just started Perri O'Shaughnessy's Show No Fear. I figure I'll finish it this afternoon and then will start on something else. I got so many advance reader copies at the booksellers' convention in October and haven't read many of them, so I decided to start making a dent in the pile!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just finishing up Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. Emotionally wrenching, but nowhere near as tough to read as We Need To Talk About Kevin - that one haunted me for weeks. I have a couple more Picoults to read and then I think I need to look for something much lighter in tone & topic.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3281789;
    Sounds like maybe one of the "between the numbers" books with Diesel. I understand the most recent one "Plum Spooky" is not very good. You might want to hold off a bit, or donate it to your library.
    It was Visions of Sugar Plums. I guess that's one of the "between the numbers" books. I wanted the first of the number books but it was checked out. Hopefully, it's not as silly as these others seem.

AJane, I loved Nineteen Minutes but it haunted me for days. All of her books do that to me.

MRD

The number books are definetly better than the between the numbers ones. They aren't great works of literature by any means, but they are fun and funny and Grandma Mazur and Lula are a SCREAM!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I finished the Perri O'Shaughnessy book last night and really enjoyed it. It's a Nina Reilly novel, but a prequel to the rest of the series. Makes me want to go read the rest of the series - I've only read a few of them.

Now I'm reading Lauren Groff's The Monsters of Templeton, which I'm LOVING. The author is from Cooperstown, NY and the fictional Templeton is sort of a parallel universe version of Cooperstown. Here's a little blurb from Amazon:
    At the start of Groff's lyrical debut, 28-year-old Wilhelmina Willie Upton returns to her picturesque hometown of Templeton, N.Y., after a disastrous affair with her graduate school professor during an archeological dig in Alaska. In Templeton, Willie's shocked to find that her once-bohemian mother, Vi, has found religion. Vi also reveals to Willie that her father wasn't a nameless hippie from Vi's commune days, but a man living in Templeton. With only the scantiest of clues from Vi, Willie is determined to untangle the roots of the town's greatest families and discover her father's identity. Brilliantly incorporating accounts from generations of Templetonians—as well as characters borrowed from the works of James Fenimore Cooper, who named an upstate New York town Templeton in The Pioneers—Groff paints a rich picture of Willie's current predicaments and those of her ancestors. Readers will delight in Willie's sharp wit and Groff's creation of an entire world, complete with a lake monster and illegitimate children.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread