+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am currently 7 chapters in to "Invisible Monsters" This is my third Chuck Palahniuk book
    (I previously read Fight Club and Choke) And although I don't particularly care for his writing style IN the books, I keep finding myself looking foreward to the next one. I suppose it's because they do make good movies and I like to read the story before I watch it. I can't wait to see who will be cast in this one.

I am also finally on to the last book in the Twilight series.
    Loved book 1,
    hated 2,
    Loved 3
    and so far am so so on 4... Hopefully it gets better. I find Bella's dramatics to be nauseating.

And Finally, Husband and I are both reading Let the Right One In aka: Låt den rätte komma in, another vampire fiction by Swedish writer John Ajvide Lindqvist. I tell you what, this is a FAR cry from the Twilight style Vampire story. It's downright unsettling! I would definately caution those who are easily disturbed.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I finished Debutante Divorcee, by Plum Sykes and started The Island, by Victoria Hislop. DD is an easy, chick-lit book. I'm really liking The Island. It's very well written and I would recommend it.

I'm reading Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster and can't stop laughing. It's the story of "condescending, egomaniacal, self-centered smartass" who goes from a six-figure salary to the unemployment line. Her sarcasm and snotty attitude is hilarious...to me anyway. As a fellow smartass, I can relate.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'd heard that it was funny, but nice to know someone who has actually enjoyed it! And Lildago, I wouldn't call you a smarta&&!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3271524;
    I am currently 7 chapters in to "Invisible Monsters" This is my third Chuck Palahniuk book
    (I previously read Fight Club and Choke) And although I don't particularly care for his writing style IN the books, I keep finding myself looking foreward to the next one. I suppose it's because they do make good movies and I like to read the story before I watch it. I can't wait to see who will be cast in this one.

I am also finally on to the last book in the Twilight series.
    Loved book 1,
    hated 2,
    Loved 3
    and so far am so so on 4... Hopefully it gets better. I find Bella's dramatics to be nauseating.
    Invisible Monsters is my favourite Palahniuk book (I'm a huge fan of his). There was buzz about a movie quite a while back, but I haven't heard anything for a long time. There was a rumour that Jessica Biel was going to be cast in the lead role. Ack.
    CN, my second-favourite Palahniuk is Diary. I found it a little different from the others, you might prefer it to what you've read of him so far. Have you seen the movie version of Choke yet? I don't think it's on DVD yet.

I finished the last Twilight book last week. I enjoyed all of them, but I was a wee bit disappointed in the ending of Breaking Dawn. I was expecting
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the Cullens to all be killed, including Bella, and for Jacob to go into hiding to raise Renesmee. The ending was a bit too happily-ever-after for me, but on the other hand it is meant to be a series for tweens/teens and no doubt that audience liked the fairy-tale ending. Though my daughter wasn't that crazy about it either, she was looking forward to more action at the showdown between the Cullens and the Volturi.

I just picked up a small armload of Jodi Picoult books at the library, as I'd recently read Salem Falls and liked it. I'm going to start with Nineteen Minutes today.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Just finished reading Andrew Taylor's brand new novel Bleeding Heart Square, a mystery novel set in 1930's London. I loved it - atmospheric, well written, and damn near impossible to put down. Fans of The American Boy will definitely want to check this out.

Immediately upon finishing Bleesding Heart Square, I picked up a book I've been meaning to read for AGES: Possession by A.S. Byatt. It was turned into a rather lacklustre movie starring - shudder - Gwyneth Paltrow in 2002, but don't let that stop you. It is an incredibly ambitious, intricately composed story about two modern-day Victorian scholars, and although I'm not even 50 pages in, I'm pretty sure this one will end up on my "Best of 2009" list. Very much my cup of tea. If you have a soft spot for victoriana, British writers, and 19th century literature, you will love this. Anyone read it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Sorry for the double post, everyone, but I completely missed ClosetNerd's post.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3271524;

And Finally, Husband and I are both reading Let the Right One In aka: Låt den rätte komma in, another vampire fiction by Swedish writer John Ajvide Lindqvist. I tell you what, this is a FAR cry from the Twilight style Vampire story. It's downright unsettling! I would definately caution those who are easily disturbed.
    OMG, I can't believe you're reading a novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist! Way cool. He's hands down my favourite Swedish horror writer (not that there are all that many to choose from...), and a really, really nice guy, too. (Probably helps that he's a huge Morrissey fan. ) I agree, Låt den rätte komma in is rather disturbing stuff. It was the portrayal of Oskar and Eli and their relationship that really stayed with me, though. How are you finding the translation? I've read everything he's written so far (in Swedish, obviously) but would be interested to read one of his novels in English just to see whether or not significant parts get lost in the translation.

Have you seen the movie as well?
    Last edited by geek the girl; 01-14-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3277550;
    Immediately upon finishing Bleesding Heart Square, I picked up a book I've been meaning to read for AGES: Possession by A.S. Byatt. It was turned into a rather lacklustre movie starring - shudder - Gwyneth Paltrow in 2002, but don't let that stop you. It is an incredibly ambitious, intricately composed story about two modern-day Victorian scholars, and although I'm not even 50 pages in, I'm pretty sure this one will end up on my "Best of 2009" list. Very much my cup of tea. If you have a soft spot for victoriana, British writers, and 19th century literature, you will love this. Anyone read it?

No, but you're selling it pretty well. I got a gift card to the local bookstore for Christmas that I haven't spent yet...might make the list of what to purchase.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3277550;
    I LOVED Possession, geek! I didn't mind the movie, because of Jennifer Ehle and Jeremy Northam...oh, and Aaron Eckhart (). You''re right though that the book is wonderfully complex and beautiful. Definitely not casual reading, but so worthwhile. I've read several others by Byatt, but Possession was my favorite.

I'm taking a break from heavy stuff and reading a few by Daniel Silva. I finished The English Assassin a few days ago and am now reading The Messenger. The main character in this series is an art restorer / Israeli spy, so they're full of intrigue and espionage, with a little art thrown in.

I've got so many books sitting around here that I have no idea what I'll read next. It'll be whatever strikes me at the moment!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3275907;
    I'm reading Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster and can't stop laughing. It's the story of "condescending, egomaniacal, self-centered smartass" who goes from a six-figure salary to the unemployment line. Her sarcasm and snotty attitude is hilarious...to me anyway. As a fellow smartass, I can relate.
    I really enjoyed that book. She made me just laugh so much. I saw it at a client's house and knew I had to read it. It's been a year or so now. Her witty take on her own foibles is just hilarious. Do you know if she's written anything else yet?

+ Reply to Thread