+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 698 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139539 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Just got a bunch of books from Borders to read:
    1.Monstrous Regiment(a discworld novel) By Terry Pratchett--- SFG, Pratchett is good! British humor like reading Monty Python.
    2. No Phule like an old phule by Robert Aspirin and Peter Heck
    3. Tattoo Blues by Michael McClelland... Mystery set in Florida- sequal to Oyster Blues.
    4 The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse by Robert Rankin... true life crime....ok so I lied... scifi/fantasy

Will update as I read them.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

OMG, I lurve Monty Python, Ili...I will have to check out Pratchett. Maybe Good Omens will be like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of British goodness.

Speaking of good British humor, anybody read Stephen Fry? The Hippopotamus and The Liar are such funny, acerbic books, slightly absurdist books.

Oh but what am I reading now? I finally got the Da Vinci Code--haven't started it yet but wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm looking forward to it though, heard a lot of great things about it.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

if you like british humor, I suggest Tom Holt. He is just as good as Terry is. The scene in Good Omens where the 4 horsemen of the Apocolypse end up getting drunk in a bar is good.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Jay
    Today I picked up "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown.

Snellville... hometown of music's next big superstar.
    I just finished Catcher in the Rye yesterday (I don't think I got everything out of that book that I should have ) and tonight I got done with Go Ask Alice... SO SAD! I was almost started to cry at the end. Tomorrow I'm either going to pick up Girl, Interrupted or The Color people. Girl, Interrupted would fit in well with Go Ask Alice so probably that one.
    YDiana DeGarmo One VoiceY

She dreamed... the impossible dream. She fought the unbeatable foe.
    She's still standing better than she ever did...

This is it! This time I know it's for real.

MY AMERICAN IDOL
    Did you think this fool could never win? Look at her, she's coming back again!

Go Ask Alice! I remember reading that in high school!

I would try something lighter after that than Girl, Interrupted, though... Too much sadness all at once.

I'm reading We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates...for some reason I'm finding it hard going. I'm not a big reader of JCO, with the notable exception of American Appetites, which I loved. After I slog through that one, I'm giving The Tattooed Girl a try.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn&Carmen
    I just finished Catcher in the Rye yesterday (I don't think I got everything out of that book that I should have ) and tonight I got done with Go Ask Alice... SO SAD! I was almost started to cry at the end. Tomorrow I'm either going to pick up Girl, Interrupted or The Color people. Girl, Interrupted would fit in well with Go Ask Alice so probably that one.
    I really enjoyd Catcher in the Rye. I read it in college for fun and definitely think one appreciates it more when he/she is a little older.

I would highly recommend The Color Purple. A very moving book.
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I just finished The DaVinci Code. I had it for about 2 months before I read it. My sons and my mom and sisters all kept telling me to read it, that it was really good. I think it was on a par w/ The Source, one of my all time favorites. I

Watching from Outer Space SpaceCase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    OMG, I lurve Monty Python, Ili...I will have to check out Pratchett. Maybe Good Omens will be like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of British goodness.

Speaking of good British humor, anybody read Stephen Fry? The Hippopotamus and The Liar are such funny, acerbic books, slightly absurdist books.

Oh but what am I reading now? I finally got the Da Vinci Code--haven't started it yet but wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm looking forward to it though, heard a lot of great things about it.
    SnowflakeGirl - I love "The Hippopotamus!" I've recommended it to many people - it's hilarious, in, as you say, a very acerbic way.

Good Omens is also one of my favorites - very funny, very fun. Worth a read.
    Outer space is no place for a person of breeding. -Lady Violet Bonham Carter

FORT Newbie
    I just finished "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. Amazing book! Had me crying late last night!

+ Reply to Thread