+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3261553;
    I just finished Feint of Art. It was definitely cute: imagine Stephanie Plum in the art world. Very fun and light.

I'm starting spegs' The Host now. I'm planning on spending the day reading, so I can finish it today.
    Thanks for the info on "Feint of Art"! I just ordered the series (books 1-3) and was disappointed to learn that the remaining books (books 4 & 5) in the series will not be published. Authors Hailey Lind (pseudonym for two sisters one an artist the other a historian) explained the publishing company did not sell as many books as they hoped.

Fortunately, they have two new series coming out over the next two years with a new publisher. "If Walls Could Talk", is the first in the Sophie Tanner House Flipping Mysteries; and "Secondhand Spirits", will be the first in a new witchcraft series, released July 2009 both under a new publishing company. Here's hoping the new publisher will give the authors a little more time to catch on!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3262156;
    Thanks for the info on "Feint of Art"! I just ordered the series (books 1-3) and was disappointed to learn that the remaining books (books 4 & 5) in the series will not be published. Authors Hailey Lind (pseudonym for two sisters one an artist the other a historian) explained the publishing company did not sell as many books as they hoped.

Fortunately, they have two new series coming out over the next two years with a new publisher. "If Walls Could Talk", is the first in the Sophie Tanner House Flipping Mysteries; and "Secondhand Spirits", will be the first in a new witchcraft series, released July 2009 both under a new publishing company. Here's hoping the new publisher will give the authors a little more time to catch on!
    I hope you like it! I've talked to Julie (one of the sisters - the artist) and her editor about the situation and Penguin is apparently the worst publisher. From the beginning, they got NO support. Time and time again, stores where they had appearances scheduled were told the books were out of stock (when they tried to order books for the event) when they weren't. Then the first book went out of print without any notice. Julie has appearances scheduled and there aren't any books. I hope they get better treatment with their next publisher. I'll be meeting Julie in about a week and seeing some of her art. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3262628;
    I hope you like it! I've talked to Julie (one of the sisters - the artist) and her editor about the situation and Penguin is apparently the worst publisher. From the beginning, they got NO support. Time and time again, stores where they had appearances scheduled were told the books were out of stock (when they tried to order books for the event) when they weren't. Then the first book went out of print without any notice. Julie has appearances scheduled and there aren't any books. I hope they get better treatment with their next publisher. I'll be meeting Julie in about a week and seeing some of her art. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Thank you! I am actually quite excited having read the great reviews - which is why I ordered everything at once. Usually I try an author with first book and then buy up the rest. I wish there is some way that they will be able to continue the series with a different publishing company, but I look forward to the new books.

I am currently reading the 2nd book in the Charlaine Harris "Harper Connelly" series Grave Surprise having just completed the 3rd book Ice Cold Grave. I usually read books in the correct chronological order, but Amazon sent the 3rd book immediately, and the 2nd was hung up/delayed in shipping and I just couldn't wait.
    I've decided to "adopt an author" Charlaine Harris through our local library, so I will be continuing to read all of her future books as soon as they are released (I will also be paying for the library's copy as tax deductible donation.)
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I've been enjoying reading Megan McCafferty's Charmed Thirds and Fourth Comings. Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings I haven't read yet. Jessica Darling is a wonderful snarky heroine. I've laughed my way through the ones that I've read!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3264264;
    Thank you! I am actually quite excited having read the great reviews - which is why I ordered everything at once. Usually I try an author with first book and then buy up the rest. I wish there is some way that they will be able to continue the series with a different publishing company, but I look forward to the new books.

I am currently reading the 2nd book in the Charlaine Harris "Harper Connelly" series Grave Surprise having just completed the 3rd book Ice Cold Grave. I usually read books in the correct chronological order, but Amazon sent the 3rd book immediately, and the 2nd was hung up/delayed in shipping and I just couldn't wait.
    I've decided to "adopt an author" Charlaine Harris through our local library, so I will be continuing to read all of her future books as soon as they are released (I will also be paying for the library's copy as tax deductible donation.)
    That's a cool idea! My library just sent me an email that Grave Surprise is ready for me to pick up, I'm very happy.

Yesterday I started Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. It was slow going at the very beginning, but it is definitely picking up now.

I am still working through The Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics, and Religion at the Twilight of the American Empire by Matt Taibbi. My BF sent it to me and it is a very interesting book, but for some reason it has been a very slow read for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3264264;
    I'll ask Julie if there's any possibility when I talk to her! I just started the second book in the Hailey Lind series - Shooting Gallery - and am loving it. They're really hitting their stride with the characters and the humor. I'm eager to talk to Julie and ask her about the process of not only writing a book with someone else, but with your sister who lives on the other side of the country!

I'm hoping to have all three books finished by Thursday, so I can ask her questions about all three.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3266388;
    I'll ask Julie if there's any possibility when I talk to her!

Thank You Critical and I hope there will be some way that will allow them to publish the sequels written but not published!

I just started Jayne Ann Krentz "Running Hot" her most recent release in the Arcane Society novels. So far, I am enjoying it a lot (but then I usually do like JAK books - whether written as such, or under Jayne Castle or Amanda Quick).

Hoping my Hailey Lind series will arrive soon!!!
    Christopher Reeve

MRD

I am frantically trying to get through one novel and read 2 more before next week. I have another Ann Rivers Siddons and that Craig Fergusan book after the one I'm reading which is an English murder mystery entitled Careless in Red.

And I'm still slogging through American Lion, but that one may end up being reading I can get credit for in school soon enough.

And I just finished a really, really interesting bio of Bob Marley. Made me want to learn more about Rastafari. But the bio is very interesting and enlightening. It's by Garry Steckles.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-06-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Regular

Has anyone read Memoirs of Cleopatra? I saw it recommended in a magazine but some reviews I read were all over the map. Guess it's 1000+ pages so it'd better be good for all that effort.

+ Reply to Thread