+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

Doxie, you need a "Hissy Fit" shirt now. We sell those and "Bless your Heart" shirts at the museum. After reading Celia's latest, I decided I needed the Hissy Fit shirt.

I'm working on American Lion. It's slow going, but not bad. Been very interesting the parallels between Andrew Jackson's time in Washington and what the country was facing and what we face today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just starting on "Fish Out Of Water" by Mary Janice Davidson - third (and final, apparently) installment in the series about Fredrika (Fred) the mermaid.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Im reading a chick lit book called "Savannah from Savannah" and im only a few chapters in, and its already cracking me up..very good.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

SRS, you must read as much as I used to, before I found the FoRT! (I spend a lot of my former reading time here).
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3259574;
    SRS, you must read as much as I used to, before I found the FoRT! (I spend a lot of my former reading time here).
    oh my goodness yes, I read a lot..well, I havent worked since February, so theres really nothing else to do...so I read, I can read a book in a day and a half to 2 days..weve been moving so Im slower lately, but yeah..a lot lol...I manage to get through a book in 2 days AND hang out on messageboards of interest lol and keep my house clean lol

ive gotten a lot of new book ideas from this thread...authors Id never heard of before..this is my favorite thread lol

queen of multi tasking
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I've got a few books going right now. I'm reading Feint of Art by Hailey Lind for a book club. It's a mystery about art forgery set in SF. Nice, light reading. I'm also reading Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn, which is, um, not light reading. It's basically a Socratic dialogue between a man and a gorilla (with the gorilla as Socrates) about the place of humans on the planet. Heady stuff, but very well written. I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm also about to start on Silent Bob Speaks by Kevin Smith. It's a series of essays on a variety of topics. I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3258331;
    Just started Scarpetta, the latest in Patricia Cornwell's series. I'm curious to see where else she can possible take Kay Scarpetta.
    Well, I just finished and I'm very pleased with this book. After Book of the Dead, I was ready for Cornwell to retire Kay Scarpetta. The newest book was surprisingly entertaining and well done, though it was a bit predictable. I had the killer figured out early on.

Click to see Spoiler:
    It was good to have Marino back to his old self and all of them together again, especially after his sexual assault on Scarpetta in the last book. It ended with a good happily ever after so perhaps this was the last in the Scarpetta series.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Just finished the Twilight series by Stephenie Myer. Overall, liked the books and the premise of the entire series. However, noticed by book 2 that Bella, Edward, Jacob etc. were just described to death (no pun intended). I found I could skip whole parts and still not lose the storyline. I know Ms. Myer is/was a FoRTer and I really enjoyed the books as a whole. Wonder if there will be any more sequels to this story?

Right now I'm reading Replay by Ken Grimwood. It's a fascinating time travel story and totally absorbing. I believe I found out about this one from this very thread, way way back under page 200. I started at the very beginning of this thread and have read every single post up to about page 190 and I write down every book I think sounds interesting. Still have many, many pages of posts to go through! I find that the recommendations and comments by the FoRT members are much better indicators of which books are fabulous, great, or merely "meh". Thanks!!!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

FORT Fogey

I finished reading The Memory Keeper's Daugher this morning. Next on tap for me is Clarence Thomas' autobiography.

Obsession, I'll put my more detailed thoughts on Memory Keeper in spoilers for those who have not yet read it. Overall, I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. It compelled me enough to keep reading and wanting to know how it developed, but I can't say I fell in love with the characters.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I think my big issue with the book was that I felt like i should have loved the characters more than I did. When bad things happened to them, i didn't care that much, because I thought some of them - primarly David and Norah (the birth parents) weren't the good kind people I needed them to be to really care. I never got past David being controlling, and I never got past Norah being so caught up in herself -- the drinking and then the affairs. Caroline (the nurse) on the other hand, I really liked. I saw all the good in her, so I found myself frustrated when I had to go too many chapters without her.

My other "issue" was that I questioned how much of David and Norah's marital issues were in fact due to Phoebe being given away / "dying" and how much was a reflection of the times. They were part of the generation that was effected the most by the women's movement, and the evolution from a traditional mom stays home and nurtures dad earns the living and provides family to the family structure we have today. A LOT of marriages in that period of time failed just like theirs, not due to a deep guarded secret and loss, but due to roles changing and each spouse not knowing how to handle it. So I was never totally convinced that their issues were in fact due to David's decision.

Lastly, I thought there were some siginificant events in the book that were glossed over, and tons of time given to insignificant events. The most glaring was David's death. It's just mentioned in passing, with one sentence -oh yeah, he died? I had to go back and re-read that because I thought that clearly I had missed something. I didn't. We get all of this depth and description over ancilary events like Norah's sister having cancer, but the key character of the book dies, and we get one sentence. It didn't make sense.

So all in all, i liked it, but I didn't LOVE it.

I just finished Feint of Art. It was definitely cute: imagine Stephanie Plum in the art world. Very fun and light.

I'm starting spegs' The Host now. I'm planning on spending the day reading, so I can finish it today.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread