+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

In regards to the prior posts, I was able to read any book in our house when I was growing up. I started reading sci-fi and Ian Fleming (James Bond) in the 1st and 2nd grade. My mom and dad quizzed me on what the book was about, and asked me if I enjoyed them. I never limited my sons on their reading, either. They didn't like to read when they were young, but discovered Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and JK Rowling. They'd even buy one copy and send them through the mail to the others.

After many years of reading just to read, I am now enjoying Christian, mysteries, biographies, romance, and suspense. I recently finished re-reading Charles Dickens.

FORT Fogey

I finished reading Slam by Nick Hornby this week. I love love love Nick Hornby, and Slam lived up to his normal greatness in my eyes. I was a little leary of this one, because it was published as a book for young adults and I didn't want to be disapointed with a "Sweet Valley High" type level of cheesiness (not that I don't adore SVH, I just didn't want that from Hornby). But I didn't see it as being for young adults at all. The primary character was a 16 year old boy, but other than that, it was all of the great humor and unique look at the world that I always expect from Hornby.

Next on tap for me is The Memory Keepers Daughter.

FORT Regular

It will be interesting to read your opinion of Memory Keepers Daughter. I didn't think it lived up to the hype.

I'm reading The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates and loving it. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3254720;
    It will be interesting to read your opinion of Memory Keepers Daughter. I didn't think it lived up to the hype.
    I'm kind of going into it with apprehensive expectations for exactly that reason. I've heard very mixed reviews. So I figure if I go in with low expectations, then I'm less likely to feel let down.

England's Mistress: The Infamous Life of Emma Hamilton by Kate Williams. Really good one so far!

MRD

Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons. Excellant book
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just read After This by Alice McDermott. Now I'm thoroughly depressed.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut, go get John Grisham's Skipping Christmas and you won't be depressed anymore. It's a quick read and funny.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm just starting on "The Clockwork Teddy" by John J Lamb. It's the fourth in a series of "cozy" mysteries ... the main character is a former San Francisco cop, named Brad Lyon, currently a teddy bear creator. The name of the company he and his wife started? But of course -- "Lyons Tigers and Bears".
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

I am almost through Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris, and I am enjoying it. It is a bit strange, premise that one of the characters was struck by lightening and afterward, she is able to feel/find dead bodies (not see dead spirits or anything, but she is like a human Geiger counter and locates & identifies them and experiences the last moments before they died). The story is strange, but has me intrigued and being a fan of Ms Harris (Sookie Stackhouse series) I thought I would try this as well.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread