+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;3252562;
    Are we still talking about The Tales Of Beedle The Bard? If so, I saw the book last weekend at Target's and at Wal-Mart; so in some parts of the country it appears to be early release for Christmas. I apologize if that is not the book we are referring too.
    No. SR5Rfan and I were talking about a different book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3252558;
    Lil, whenever you're able to, I'd always recommend reading along with your kids. They love it and you can get a good gauge on what their reading capabilities are.
    Yep, I completely agree. We just finished The Tale of Despereaux for the second time. She loves that books and with the movie coming out, she just had to read it for again. Even my 4 year old, sat still to hear the story. Believe me, that's rare!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3252613;
    No. SR5Rfan and I were talking about a different book.
    Ahh - must be Two Rivers and that does sound very interesting - I will also put it on my wish list. Thank you for attending that convention and sharing these great books with us!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3252421;
    I have not read any of the HP books, but I've been told that JK Rowling wrote them intending for readers to grow up along with the characters -- that her intent was to gear the first one towards kids the age that Harry is in the first one, and that she matured the writing as the characters matured. Is that correct?
    That's what I've heard too. And I would agree with it. Having read all of the books, they get more mature as they go on. And deal with more adult situations and themes.

I'm not a parent, so this doesn't really matter; but I see no problem in letting a child (7 or 8 was it?) start the first book if they can handle it. As they want more, I might start reading with them, at like book 3 or 4. It gets really heavy at that point and doesn't really get any better through out the series. But that's jmo.

In regards to Two Rivers - I now have it on pre-order!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3252982;
    In regards to Two Rivers - I now have it on pre-order!
    Cool! You'll have to let me know what you think I haven't had nearly enough time to read, but I'm loving it so far. It's one of those books you want to read slowly so you don't miss anything - the writing is so beautiful.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've also given up (for now, at least) on the cozy mystery I was trying to read. Just couldn't get in to it. I've just started on a chick lit book - Angel With Attitude (about a "fallen angel" who's come to earth and has to earn her way back to Heaven, while avoiding the handsome, sexy "Tempter Demon"). Not starting out too badly, at least it isn't dragging for me like the book that didn't want to be read.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

oy! Im reading "Duma Key" and its good, but it sure feels long..i can usually read a normal sized book in a couple days, Ive been reading this one for a week..and Im finally on the last couple of chapters...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

LilDux and I just bought The Tale of Despereaux tonight - this will be our holiday reading. She only has 2 more days of school then she's home to pester me for almost 2 weeks. So we'll read the book and then have a day out at the movies.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

So Brave, Young and Handsome: A Novel (Hardcover) by Leif Enger (Author)

+ Reply to Thread